VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what all you guys do when it comes to medications? When you go to the doctor and they want to prescribe you something, do you ask questions about animal ingredients and what not? And how does that affect your desiscion to take that medication?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was recently in a car accident and am on two meds. I did not ask what is in either of them, because I don't want to know and the fact that I don't think I could function at times without them. (Pain-pills and muscle relaxers) I make sure that they don't prescribe anything in gelcaps or capsules though, and try as hard as I can to not take antibiotics.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
When I have control over it, I'm a little fretty. For instance, I insisted on having a vegan iron supplement, instead of just using whatever the doctor suggested. However, when my insides are turning all around and I'm sick as a dog and delirious and about to die, I take what they give me and try not to think too hard about it.

I always say, a dead vegan doesn't help the cause.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I'm kinda the same way. If my meds keep me out of pain, I don't give a rip what's in them as long as I'm not hurting.

If it were a vitamin or something, then I'd ask around or look for alternatives.

But meds are a part of health/safety and that's an area where animal products are allowed (IMO)....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm pretty much on the same wavelength as you guys...I take medication for my stomach and have never asked about animal ingredients. I realize it likely has something in it....but I can literally not function without, so i would rather not know. But, yeah, I try to find out about supplements and stuff.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I stopped using animal hormones for my asthma.

I still use something for short of breath when its really necessary, but it goes away when I try to relax.

I have a antrophosofic doctor (Rudolf Steiner method), and he is open for questions on ingredients and willing to look for an alternative.

Sometimes I prefer to stay at home longer and not use a animal based and tested thing.

Dont know how far I can stretch this, depends on what it is for.

(I made sure that stitches were animal free when I needed them, but they were made by Johnson, so they must be animal tested)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts