VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was looking through my photos it occurred to me that our descendants might not be able to have any pictures of us..say in 100 years.

Formats change all of the time. Do we really expect jpeg to be the around in 100 years? and even if it is, how can we ensure that digital pictures get transferred from hard drive to hard drive over the generations.

On line storage? Is it likely that those companies will be around in 100 years?

Paper based pictures are easy to stumble upon or store in an attic, but digital images have to be actively maintained.

How about digital movies. I understand there are numerous formats. What are the odds the one you use will become the universal standard?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
LOL. This cracks me up.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

LOL. This cracks me up.
Why?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I just think this new technology is totally bizarre. Why can't people just print photos out? Are we really so lazy now that we can't even do that anymore? Is the new generation going to be so low on attention span that they won't look at anything that's not on a computer screen?

I mean, you're probably right. Don't get me wrong. Our descendents will probably be totally computer obsessed. But it doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i will leave them a memory stick with my pics. labeled: grandma gone wild
I'll bet that would be fun to view...

But there is still the problem of standards changing. Will USB ports/memory sticks still be used in 100 years?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
media storage might change but conversion tools will be available. i can convert the slides my grandparents made to digital format, vhs to dvd and tapes to cds. i don't see a reason why i wouldn't be able to convert that format in the future should it become necessary.
printed pictures degrade with time and sun exposure so they require lots of maintenance to keep them in good condition for future generations and they can get fire or water damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

I just think this new technology is totally bizarre. Why can't people just print photos out? Are we really so lazy now that we can't even do that anymore? Is the new generation going to be so low on attention span that they won't look at anything that's not on a computer screen?

I mean, you're probably right. Don't get me wrong. Our descendents will probably be totally computer obsessed. But it doesn't make any sense to me.
it costs money to print pictures. i only print a select few pictures that i'll either frame and display or send to my grandparents. besides they're easier to transport and share in digital format.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
My grandkids won't be able to view any pictures of me, paper or digital.

But I prefer paper based pictures in an album too.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

media storage might change but conversion tools will be available. i can convert the slides my grandparents made to digital format, vhs to dvd and tapes to cds. i don't see a reason why i wouldn't be able to convert that format in the future should it become necessary.
Well I'm sure conversion tools will be available, but don't know if it would be all that easy. For example, I've had to convert Visicalc files to Excel..and while conversion tolls are available, I still had to do a lot of manual re-work to get it into a usable format..almost not worth the trouble..and the time span between the two spreadsheet softwares is only 20 years. Will conversion tools be available for a 100 year old format?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

it costs money to print pictures. i only print a select few pictures that i'll either frame and display or send to my grandparents. besides they're easier to transport and share in digital format.
It doesn't cost that much money, especially now that we can pick and choose which ones we want to print out instead of buying a roll of film and not knowing how anything turns out until after the whole thing has been developed... I do agree photos are easier to share in digital format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I was just wondering this week if I was too old to appreciate "the cloud." Why would I want to store photos or anything else online? No thanks.

I do like digital photos because I can take a hundred photos, and just print out the few good ones.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Maybe I am just anti-technology.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
I don't understand the appeal of printed photographs. It's nice to have a few around the house but what do you do with the rest? I don't see the point of flicking through a paper album when you can do it online.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I don't understand the appeal of printed photographs. It's nice to have a few around the house but what do you do with the rest? I don't see the point of flicking through a paper album when you can do it online.
This. Plus, it's not very green to print off loads of pics. Leave them in an online album, and you can click through them at the same time as your mom while talking on the phone, even though she lives hours and hours away.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
If I were THAT concerned about making sure people could see pictures of me in 100 years, I'm sure I'd be concerned enough to put together a real photo album or two.

If I were IMPORTANT enough that people in 100 years will actually want to look at me, I'm sure other people will take my picture and it will be cataloged online without my involvement.

As it happens I am simultaneously not that friggin' important, and I'm also not really concerned about ensuring generations to come can look at me. I'm more focused on doing my part to make the planet livable for them. Right now, I'm kind of doubting it will be. And part of making sure the planet is livable for future humans directly involves not having any children. Therefore, no grandkids either.

So, yeah.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

If I were THAT concerned about making sure people could see pictures of me in 100 years, I'm sure I'd be concerned enough to put together a real photo album or two.

If I were IMPORTANT enough that people in 100 years will actually want to look at me, I'm sure other people will take my picture and it will be cataloged online without my involvement.

As it happens I am simultaneously not that friggin' important, and I'm also not really concerned about ensuring generations to come can look at me. I'm more focused on doing my part to make the planet livable for them. Right now, I'm kind of doubting it will be. And part of making sure the planet is livable for future humans directly involves not having any children. Therefore, no grandkids either.

So, yeah.
I wasn't talking specifically about me. I'm not that egotistical. I meant in general there will be fewer photos of people/places/events available in the future if some type of archiving system isn't implemented. Personally I like to see old pictures and how people lived and what it was like back them. Words in a history book aren't always sufficient. Pictures often do a better job.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
For those of us who care about images, it is a real issue.

I have a pair of Syquest cartridges from the mid-1990s with some educational software I wrote and photos I shot. I showed incredible foresight in duplicating the one cartridge so if anything happened to it, I would still have everything safe on the other. And the photos are jpegs, so I should still be able to get them open.... if only I could find the hardware and software (Mac 7?) to open a Syquest cartridge. They went bankrupt in 1999. There are all sorts of things I've done over the years that are lost now because they are in an inaccessible format or device. DAT tapes, 5.25 floppies, zip discs.... There wasn't anything particularly valuable, but between that and occasional drive crashes, I've learned my lesson.

I'm much more meticulous about how I archive my images now. Even more so after digitizing all our family photos, going back to the 1860s, and realizing how much has been lost or damaged.

I have been going through all those photos and putting stuff into books using Blurb.com, then giving those out as Christmas gifts. They are hardcover photo books and should last at least 150 years. The problem with scrapbooking is that there is glue and stuff and they will eventually fall apart. Blurb does real books, so they should last a long time.

I have an external drive for photos, and a separate drive for back up. At the end of every year I back up all the photos I shot for the year on to DVD, and make a backup DVD that I store offsite at my parents house. Professionally, I shoot stock images that I license out. Those are stored by my agencies, so they are safe.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
They were just discussing this on Science Friday a few weeks ago, and the "experts" didn't have a lot of solutions except to have double backups...you know, CDs and someplace in the Cloud, etc.

I don't think it's so weird to think, btw, that future generations would be interested in pictures of us. I've hunted through boxes for pictures of my great-greats for instance. Very strange to see my grandfather as a young man, or my grandma as a beautiful woman (wish I'd gotten her genes!).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts