VeggieBoards banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suitable for a vegan diet<br><br><br><br>
I LOVE pasta, but sometimes it isn't filling enough. To make these "meatballs" I veganized and significantly adapted a recipe from a vegetarian bookbook. These won't fool omnis (nor are they intended to), but they are a yummy compliment to some speggetti with tomato sauce.<br><br><br><br>
Makes 8-12 golf-ball sized meatballs. (Note: 1/2 tbsp = 1 and 1/2 tsp)<br><br><br><br>
-12 or 14oz package firm or extra-firm tofu, frozen, thawed, and pressed until dry to the touch <span style="font-size:xx-small;">(I ususually slice and freeze tofu right when I get it home from the store. To thaw, place in some boiling water for a few minutes, then press between clean tea towels).</span><br><br>
-4oz traditional-style dark seitan, drained and quickly rinsed<br><br>
-2 tbsp whole flax seeds, ground and beat together with 1 and 1/2 tbsp water<br><br>
-2 medium-large cloves of garlic, finely minced or put through a garlic press<br><br>
-1/2 cup vegetarian bread crumbs <span style="font-size:xx-small;">(or just let some bread go stale and put it through the food processor)</span><br><br>
-1/2 tbsp dried parsley flake<br><br>
-3 tbsp teriyaki sauce<br><br>
-1 and 1/2 tbsp vegetarian worcestershire sauce<br><br>
-Salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste<br><br>
-Enough canola oil to coat the bottom of a fry pan with 1/4-1/3 inch (about 1cm) of oil.<br><br><br><br>
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.<br><br><br><br>
Place all ingredients except the canola oil into a food processor and pulse until a thick paste has formed. Remove the blade and and roll the paste into balls. If your paste doesn't want to roll, add either water or more bread crumbs as needed until it will.<br><br><br><br>
Place the oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Make sure you use enough oil or the meatballs will stick and come apart (trust me on this). When the oil is ready (a pea-sized piece of meatball paste will sizzle), add the "meatballs". Don't over-crowd the pan; there should be about 2 inches of space between them. Brown on each side for about 30-60 seconds, or until golden-brown on all sides, turning with spring-loaded tongs. They should release when ready to turn, but if something does stick, you can free it without damage by scraping it off the pan with a pancake turner.<br><br><br><br>
Transfer the balls to a baking-pan lined with baker's parchment and place in the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the balls hold their shape when lightly pressed, but are still moist in the middle. If not serving immediately, you can rewarm them in a 200-degree oven or freeze them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts