VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently gone back to being a vegetarian after a (nearly) two year stint of being a meat eater. I had been a vegetarian for almost three years prior.<br><br>
My husband (while still eating meat) is extremely supportive and really tries to be understanding of my feelings and lifestyle.<br><br>
The only problem is that sometimes I get annoyed with the fact that he doesn't also see things the way I do...how he doesn't have the same moral problem that I do with eating animals.<br><br>
Rationally, the last thing that I would ever EVER want to do is try to force anything on him, and I would never try to make him vegetarian. I don't try and get him to stop eating meat because I wouldn't ever expect anyone else to try and tell me TO eat meat. I just don't know what to do with this irrational frustration that I feel sometimes.<br><br>
I know I can't control what other people do, and I don't want to control what he does, I just need some advice with how to stop feeling annoyed about it. Has anyone else experienced the same feelings? How did you get over them?<br><br>
Thanks Much!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My partner of 5 years is an omni & has been since we met. I was veggie when we met but I'm vegan now. There has to be mutual respect an understanding for each other's choices; for example, we dont have meat in the house, he does most of the cooking at home which is always meat-free and he only eats meat when we go out for meals. I try not to preach or whinge at him about eating meat as he's a grown man and is free to make his own choices.<br><br>
I totally get the feeling of being frustrated at why intelligent, kind-hearted people would choose to eat meat knowing all the facts but the truth is all people are different & live their lives as they see fit. Many omnis are in denial about nutrition, or what animals go through to provide them with cheap, easy meals.<br><br>
I try my best to open debates and discussion with people providing them with the facts, trying hard not to get wound up or shouty so I dont alienate them. Unfortunately though, I encounter a lot of sarcasm, rude remarks and closed-mindedness. Take comfort from like-minded people on here, you're not alone in feeling this way!<br><br>
You say that you've gone the last 2 years eating meat. What were your thought processes about it during that time? Maybe that can go some way as to helping you understand your partner eating meat.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You switched back to eating meat after switching to vegetarianism and then back, do you really think you have a leg to stand on in this line of thought?<br><br>
Not judging or attacking you since you asked advice, just trying to point out that it seems a bit hypocritical that you are so angry at him for not seeing what you see when you seem to have lost inspiration or forgotten what you had seen yourself. Give it time grasshopper. Could there be something else you are angry at him about and it is surfacing this way?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts