VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am trying to go vegetarian. I didn't eat meat for two weeks and didn't feel any cravings, or even think about it that much.<br><br>
Then my period hit and I got extremely bad meat cravings, I did to resist buy I eventually gave in and ate meat.<br><br>
I feel guilty now.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Maybe you're craving meat because your iron levels are low? A period is blood loss, after all, and it's known that menstruating girls and women need more iron than other people. Next time, you could try some fortified cereals or cooked spinach/other leafy greens instead. Also: lentils, blackstrap molasses or beans. You could also take a multivitamin with iron in it. It may not be necessary, but it might help.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Before I went veg, I was usually craving a burger as soon as I got my period. Now, I eat something with either spinach or black beans as a main ingredient, and that one works even better!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Don't feel guilty! That used to happen to me too. It will get better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Happens to me too. Has as long as I've been menstruating, right before my period hits I start craving red meat - intensely, and it goes away about 3-4 days into it. I switched my multi to one with iron, and haven't had cravings in a while. If I do, it's cause I've forgotten my vitamin. If you don't want to take a multivitamin, you can get a low dose (I do mean low, cause you don't want to mess with ODing on Iron) iron supplement to take for a couple weeks out of each month.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
A multivitamin with iron is a good idea, but it may not necessarily have anything to do with your cravings. I crave just about everything during my period. That doesn't usually include meat anymore, but I'm sure it did when I was a new vegetarian.

·
Registered
765 Posts
drinking 200ml 100% fruit cocktail juice mixed with soya pure protein powder takes away any cravings I have during my period. i still induldge in some chocolate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts