VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have ideas for gifts that can be made as a donation? I'd like to give people a really good gift that doesn't involve buying something they won't use.

I found one organization : www.worldvisiongifts.org

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
There's always Farm Sanctuary, which has gotten some of my in-lieu-of-presents donations.

Not everyone here will be comfortable with the clearly-Christian stance of the following organizations, but for those who are interested:

Orphanage in India. Hope 4 India. I know these folks personally, and I can vouch for its authenticity. My Senior Capstone college class' service project was to raise money for water filters for their orphanage. Clean drinking water is something we could all agree on.

Orphanage-to-be in Kenya. Living Love ministries. I know these folks as well. The primary leaders are from Kenya, and for the past four years, they have been administrators at an orphanage in La Paz, Bolivia. They're moving back to Kenya to start an orphanage for AIDS kids.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Why don't you try and think of causes the person has supported or mentioned in the past? The gift is supposed to be for them, so they'd probably appreciated if you knew what their causes were.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
the frustrating thing about this, for me, is that i did this one year. i gave donations to organizations that were similar to or supported the ideas of the people whom i was giving the 'gift.'

everyone then got a card, from the organization stating what the 'gift' was (such as supporting public libaries, or supporting wildlife rehabilitation).

and then all hell broke loose. people hated their gifts; people gave me dirty looks, yelled at me, or generally freaked out.

As much as i *love* this idea, i find that it's better if i ask to recieve those sorts of gifts, rather than give them to others. SO, my christmas list looks like this:

tea (web site)

tonics (web site)

charitable contributions to the following organizations (list and websites)

and i usually get gifts and no charitable contributions.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yeah--my side of the family was cool with it. My mom as thrilled that I paid Oxfam to plant 50 fruit trees. However, Spiderman's side of the family didn't feel like it was a proper gift. It wasn't wrapped. you couldn't hold it. It didn't go to them. despite the fact that they have more than they need.

So it depends on the personality of the recipiant.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I try to use foundations that are important to my family. The Parkinson's Foundation (My Grandpa died from it) Suicide support groups (My dad died from it).

I hope that is a little help....

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Ok, this is sort of material too, but I think meaninful. How about one of those benches or trees planted in a public place in honor of someone who died?. Or maybe that's too depressing as a christmas gift.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Ok, this is sort of material too, but I think meaninful. How about one of those benches or trees planted in a public place in honor of someone who died?. Or maybe that's too depressing as a christmas gift.
I think that's a nice idea. My dad has a bench. When we lived in the US I used to sit on it in the shade and have a picnic and remember good times we had. But now we live in the UK and I can't do it.

But a bench is nice. His says "Sit here a while and think of me"

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
(__ __)

Making a donation to a charity in someone else's name is seen on the same level as giving someone a gift card to a random restaurant or store. It doesn't really take much thought, and doesn't mean much. I don't think most people will see it as "meaningful". Some would even consider it a bit snide, as if you're saying that you don't trust the person to donate to charity on their own so you're doing it for them. If you want to donate to the charity, that's awesome and you should, but not as a gift to someone else. People should support their favorite charities on their own.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I have donated to several charities on behalf of extended family members at Christmas. I don't know the family members as well as I used to, so picking a "thing" they would like would have been rather difficult. One year, I sponsored a child at a third-world orphanage. When I got updates on that child, I would email it to the extended family members so they could feel like they were a part of it, too.

I'm the first one to do something like this in my family, and everyone seems to like it. "How kind" and "That's really sweet" were the most common responses. No one gave me dirty looks, and no one yelled at me. They may have felt disappointed inside, but they kept that to themselves.

However, I was careful to donate to causes I knew they would feel comfortable supporting. In honor of my vegetarian cousin, I donated to Farm Sanctuary. For my aunt and uncle who have been less-than-accomodating about my vegetarianism, I donated to an third-world orphanage. I was not about to "stick it to them" by donating to an AR organization. I wouldn't like it if they gave money to Tyson Chicken in honor of me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I have realized that it is probably wise that I ask for donations rather than give them, unless it's for someone that I know would really appreciate it. I wouldn't mind giving something materialistic if is from a company who I wouldn't mind buying from. Christmas is just around the corner, and I feel that pressure to buy things and I hate that feeling. I'm a college student so I don't think people expect me to buy lavish gifts, but I'd like to give the people that I care about something nice. Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts