VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a recent raw foodist. And my daughter is 12 and hooked on junk food, not just the candy, but fast food, white flour and sugar, etc.

She has recently reached a point with her weight and acne, that she is fed up with her own body. Tonight, I pulled her into "eating healthy" with me. But she fights it so hard, saying she can't do it, it's too hard, etc. I convinced her to do it with me through the weekend, then I will try and get her to do the whole week. I feel SOOO much better since getting rid of all my processed and cooked foods, I know she will too. She wants to do it, but she's scared.

I would love to get her to raw foods, but she is the type that needs to transition to that. So, first we're just getting rid of the junk food. Here's my question, she has to eat breakfast and lunch at school. Of course, the cafeteria food is junk. I want to send her to school with easy to pack food, and stuff that won't leave her hungry and tempted to go eat the pizza or muffin, etc.

What do you guys/girls pack for lunch if you're going to school or on a road trip, etc.?

Thanks,

Lana

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
lana..you might try posting this in "Raising Vegetarian Children" forum as well.

Also, there is this very cool (not all raw, but all vegan) site:

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
83 Posts
I usually bring my lunch for work, and I usually have 2 meatless turkey sandwiches (made with Worthington's or Tofurky slices) with vegan cheese, veganaise and lettuce. A cup of fruit and veggies.

Sometimes I make a sandwich with the Smart BBQ shreds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I usually bring my lunch for work, and I usually have 2 meatless turkey sandwiches (made with Worthington's or Tofurky slices with vegan cheese, veganaise and lettuce) and a cup of fruit and veggies.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

How old is your child? If she is under 13, ask your school about filing her dietary needs in the office. Then, even if temptation does strike, the lunchroom workers would refuse to give her food the two of you have agreed upon ruling out.

If she is over 13, both of you can go to the school and inquire together about this. She can even be in on the writing up of the paperwork.

At least, that's how it works in this neck of the woods.

Also, the cafeteria might be able to provide her with a small salad each day if you pre-pay. That way, if she forgets her lunch, she won't go hungry.
Her daughter is 12.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm fourteen and a freshman in high school. My school doesn't provide ANY vegan or vegetarian options (the salads all have chicken, and they don't even sell fruit anymore unless you buy a main dish.) So, I pack lunch from home every day. This usually consists of:

-Flavoured water or soymilk in a thermos

-Some type of fruit, like a banana, pomelo, strawberries, etc.

-Home-baked sweet potato chips (not raw though, sorry)

-A small container or ziplock of nuts, especially cashews, almonds, or macadamia nuts

-Raw vegetables, usually edamame or snap peas, sometimes raw broccoli, carrots, and the like

-And sometimes a PB&J

Hope this helped a little. My lunch is mostly made up of little snacks, but I usually eat 6 small meals a day (instead of 3 large, helps my metabolism tons, hah), so it works. Raw fruits and veggies are great for lunches, easy to prepare, and even my junk-food loving friends steal them from me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great answers so far. Hope I get more.

Today, I sent her to school with a salad, dried fruit in a bag, a natural fruit "roll up" and two organic oatmeal/raisin cookies.

She is far from going raw. like I said that would be great. But I just want her to get away from the junk. I'm going to direct her to this site, I'm hoping she'll get some strength in her convictions from the teens in here. Reading the posts, most of you are very dedicated to not only being a vegetarian, but other things in your life. It's inspiring.

I wouldn't want to "restrict" her choices at the cafeteria. I would want her to chose something healthy because she wants it. I think that would make her feel like I'm trying to treat her like a 5 year old, and it would probably embarrass her. Besides, if she really wanted it, she could get her friend to get stuff. And the milk and a piece of fruit are the only "healthy" things on the menu.

So, thanks for the lunch ideas. Please keep them coming,

Best wishes,

Lana

1 - 8 of 8 Posts