VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years but for my whole life I never really enjoyed eating much. Actually for the most part I really dislike it. I've tried different meal replacement powders but I wanted to know if anyone has found a meal replacement poweder drink that you can actually live on (that is vegetarian ofcourse). I suspect there isn't one since you probably need a variety of nutrients provided by different foods to live and thrive, but if anyone has heard of a powder mix drink that you can actually live on please let me know. I'm about 30 pounds underweight according to a doctor I spoke with a few years ago, and I'm still the same weight now at about 5'11" and 125 lbs (male).

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
There aren't any that you can live off of solely and still, like, get out of bed every day.

However, I can recommend some that you could have in addition to regular meals.

Genisoy is a vegan soy protein shake. The chocolate flavour actually tastes pretty good. It's (I believe) 170 calories per scoop. Mix it with some flavored soymilk, any random fruit, nut butter, wheat germ, flax seed, etc that you like and you can make a pretty hearty shake. It has 25% of a bunch of your daily vitamins and 100% vitamin E.

You said "vegetarian," so... other shakes might work out for you as well. Spirutein makes a good one. I think the only animal product in that is beeswax..? Something from bees. It's vegetarian.

Heck, even Ensure or Slim Fast are probably vegetarian.

Again, you can't live off of these. But for people who have trouble eating enough food, they're a good way to put on a couple of pounds. Eat them as snacks, a bedtime treat, or with meals instead of water, soda, or pop.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I LOVE Peaceful Planet!

the ingredients are clean, and the nutritional numbers are the best overall of all of em. the labels are printed with soy inks, and the flavors are wonderful!

I especially enjoy the Berry Bliss! mix it with Rice Milk, bananas and pineapple and coconut and mango and lilikoi and papaya and spirulina and flax seeds and ice.... wow! okay, maybe I don't put all that fruit in at once, just what I have handy...

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I dont think you can entirely live off liquids alone, but drinking V8 juice would help with vitamin and mineral intake..also try blending up some smoothie - milk, fruit, protein powder and maybe some wheat or something?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. There is a very good reason why all shakes have an explicit warning that they should NOT be used as your sole source of nutrition. Especially if you are 30 lbs underweight.

You need to eat FOOD. Real food.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why don't you like eating food? I find that it's one of the most sensual and intimate ways of interacting with life, nevermind a great way to sustain life. I would love to hear your thought on it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically I just don't like eating. It kind of makes me feel like I'm suffocating. I'm just a weirdo. I like the meal-drinks because they are over with quick. The weird thing is I absolutely love drinking water. I'm like a water addict. O well thanks for the tips for different powerders there. I guess my best bet is to use those to supplement since I don't eat too much. Thanks for the info! But if anyone does find a meal-drink you can live on let me know!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mainly eat fruit and protien powder drink mixes. Sometimes pasta. I also sometimes eat those fake meat products like bocca burgers. I usally can't eat in the morning because it gives me a stomachache but I'll usually choke down a protien drink in the mornings. In the afternoon I'll usually get a veggie sandwitch or pasta for lunch then either fruit and another protein drink for dinner or a fake meat product.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Hm.. Personally I have trouble digesting the mega doses of protein. Maybe the protein shake isn't the best call..? The boca burgers too. Opt for something lighter. Some toast, cereal always goes down easy...

Plus fresh fruit can be hell on a sensitive tummy.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
wow. is it a physical feeling of not being able to breathe or is it psychological i wonder? if it's physical you could go see a doctor, maybe there's something wrong with your sinuses or something. i know when my sinuses are blocked up i don't like to eat, especially around other people because i feel like i have to chew with my mouth open so i can breathe. is it like that or is like an anxiety thing?

i really think you should try to find the source of the problem and overcome it somehow, living off shakes is not healthy, you need to eat. here i am worrying that i don't eat enough but wow

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yes, I think that the shakes are just going to exacerbate what I'm sure is obvious to everyone here is a big problem. It's not healthy to feel as though you are suffocating when you eat, and it's very necessary to eat enough food. You know Psycho, maybe you should talk to your doctor about the difficulty that you have eating. Focusing your energy on being OK with food instead of searching for an all-in-one shake could be more helpful for you.

It's funny with all of the new-ish meal bars and protein shake drinks it seems as though we've entered a Jetsons space-age food era. When I was a kid I used to wonder if the "meal pill" would happen in my lifetime. Man, I sure hope it doesn't. I'd hate to give up cheese-less pizza for a pill.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yikes... I saw red flags when I read this post. I'm sorry but this one just screams *eating disorder* to me
I don't know you, Psycho, but from reading the post I am worried! This reminds me of Keegan. Keegan... can you shed some light on this one?

Psycho... hope we can help. Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well to be honest the suffocating feeling I get is more "in my head" than a physical feeling. I've never really liked eating since I was a kid. I've been into different meal replacement powders since I was little too. I don't think I really have an eating disorder though because I don't feel I'm overweight or anything like that. I know that I'm really skinny, if anything I feel I need to gain weight. It's hard to explain. I just don't like eating. When I'm eating its like I'm doing something kind of gross and unpleasant, and I especially don't like eating infront of other people. I don't get that feeling at all when I drink fluids though. Just from food.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't like to eat in front of people...doing something gross and unpleasnant, really skinny...

Psycho, you need to talk to a professional about this. This is not healthy thoughts nor behaviour.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'd just like to point out also that not all eating disorders have to do with thinking you're overweight. there are lots of different kinds of disorders and they vary from person to person. i think not wanting to eat for any reason could be a disorder, but again there might be something triggering it that you can confront. i think you ought to try talking to your doctor or a counsellor

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think i know where youre coming from. I've always hated eating in front of most people, and even when im alone i dont enjoy eating. I know its a problem, but i try not to replace too many meals with shakes or other alternatives. I tend to have weird thoughts about how weird it is to put foreign objects in your body...sort of like rubbing it in an open wound. I just try to watch tv or something while im eating to get my mind off of it. Sometimes, i'll eat an above normal amount of food, other times i just cant make myself eat for around 3 days at a time. For those times, i keep vitamins around. Theres no magic meal pill yet that i know of, but i hope i can resist it when it becomes a reality.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts