VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me about something called a McVeggie burger or something like that and that McDonalds also sells other vegeterian food. Is the McVeggie real meat or vegetarian meat? How does it taste?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
the fries are not vegetarian in the US. Just a heads up.

We used to have a quorn burger available here (UK) a while ago that was alright. I haven't heard of a veggieburger being available in the US, but maybe someone else will be able to help you out on that.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Vegetarian meat, and to me it tasted like slimy rubber drenched in bbq sauce. I think it varies from store to store, though.

Also remember their french fries are NOT vegetarian.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Personally, I find the whole company so abhorrent that the only way I would go into a McD's would be feet first.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I've never heard of the McVeggie burger and I'm in US, too.

McD's has a website that does list ingredient info (or it did the last time I was there). Perhaps you could check to see what the McV has in it?

As far as the other "vegetarian" food that McD sells... well, there's the fruit parfait (with yogurt if you're LO, without if you're vegan) and that apple thingy (the topping has honey in it if you're vegan but either way, it's dead nasty). Those are the only doable options that I know of at McD.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I don't eat there (McD's) but I thought they had fixed the issue with the fries... am I wrong? I had no idea they were offering a veggie burger...

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
AFAIK, that issue still isn't fixed with their fries.

And even if it was, McDs has lied so many times in past about their food that I'm not sure I'd trust them to tell truths about things.

For fast food, I prefer Wendy's over McD any day of the world.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I thought they had fixed the issue with the fries... am I wrong?
My recollection of what happened was this - around the time the story broke about the beef tallow used to fry the fries, McD's paid a huge sum to settle lawsuits filed against them by (primarily) Hindus who claimed they were misled about the ingredients. Then I think McD's supposedly stopped using the beef tallow, but only in India. More recently, though, I heard that they were switching to an all-veg oil mixture, not to cater to veg*ns, but rather because of the new big stink about trans fat. So the fries may be veg now, but I'm not sure I'd trust their word, and I'd check into it myself - don't just take my say-so, since I'm not 100% certain.

But at any rate, I totally agree with the poster ^^ who suggested just avoiding McD's altogether! Seriously, that's some nasty food, veg*n or not. And the veggie burger must be a regional thing in the US - they don't have it where I live.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I've never heard of the McVeggie burger and I'm in US, too.
From what I understand, they offered the McVB for a short while. It never caught on, so they canned it. McD's food is abysmal as it is, I can only imagine what the McVB tasted like. Or even if it was really vegetarian. Heh, probably had 'beef flavoring' or lard in it. Jerks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.t.ness View Post

My recollection of what happened was this - around the time the story broke about the beef tallow used to fry the fries...
Interesting, I always thought the fries were non-vegetarian because the seasoning contained beef flavoring or some other nasty ingredient to make them taste better.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
huh... thanx for the answer and clearing that up. And no, I do not eat there.... it's just gross. I'll eat at subway but that's about as far as I go for fast food. Though the very rare taco bell trip sneaks in somehow.

I like to know ahead of time what I can eat if I have nowhere else to go. I've been stranded many many times in the middle of the country with the choice between McD's and KFC- both of which I despise- and they seem to have never seen a *gasp* real-live vegetarian. I travel a lot and wind up in some odd situations...

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

the fries are not vegetarian in the US. Just a heads up.

We used to have a quorn burger available here (UK) a while ago that was alright. I haven't heard of a veggieburger being available in the US, but maybe someone else will be able to help you out on that.
The quorn burger was terrible. It had this nasty red sauce with it. Now, the vegetable deluxe (which precluded the quorn burger) was a bloody lovely sandwich. Whatever ****wit at the offices decided it needed replacing needs replacing themselves.

I haven't been to McDonalds in some time. I favour subway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know anything about a Mc Donald's veggie burger, but the spelling of this title reminded me of this funny little restaraunt I stumbled across in Nepal. My friend and I were walking and passed a place with a sign that said "Mc Donals (spelled like thread title) - Indian fast food". We thought it was so funny we just had to go in. It turned out to be so good, we ate there almost every day for the rest of our trip. And, being Indian food, it was very vegetarian-friendly. If you're ever in Kathmandu, go to Mc Donals!

But for vegetarians/vegans in the US, I'd stick with Taco Bell. Just don't call it "Mexican food".

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Personally, I find the whole company so abhorrent that the only way I would go into a McD's would be feet first.
Same here. I might go in to use the bathroom if I had to pee badly enough.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
The ONLY reason I EVER set foot into McDonald's is to use the bathroom.

I will never give them my money, but I will gladly give them my excrement.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

The ONLY reason I EVER set foot into McDonald's is to use the bathroom.

I will never give them my money, but I will gladly give them my excrement.
haha, now this reminds me of an evening where I had curry. The next morning, I was intown and needed the toilet. I used mconalds, and the fact that my bowels were not at 100% working order made their toilets stink to high heaven.

I'm rather proud of that accomplishment!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had the McD's Quorn burger once and threw it away after two bites. Plain foul

I generally steer clear of there now, the only vegan options are things like chips and I much prefer the noodle bar round the corner

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I only go in for the McToilets too. or a McCoke if im well thirsty and nowhere else is around.

i remember eating a veggieburger from there in college and it was gross

1 - 20 of 52 Posts