VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most of us have seen, and some of us participated in, the wonderful "Hamsters" threads which promote physical well being and what not. Well, I thought I'd ride their coattails and start a "gerbil club" for promoting active intellectual, spiritual, and psychological improvement.

This is in no way to be taken as a dichotomous seperation along the lines of "jocks and nerds" of course, but to be completely complementary to the Hamsters threads in a mind/body sense.

We'll see how it goes, I guess. So please feel free to post your "mind-heart" activities, accomplishments, goals, and so on. We'll see how it goes!

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And so I guess I'll go first, while I'm here!

I'm coming up on the end of the Spring semester (I'm a college senior, graduating in December with a BA in Philosophy, minoring in Religious Studies and Psychology). I have been focusing on the "spiritual", "transpersonal" and "hollistic" aspects of psychology lately and so I've been working on Michael Washburn's "The Ego and The Dynamic Ground - A Transpersonal Theory of Human Development."

That's all academics, though. On a more personal note, I am trying to work out some issues I have with religion - trying to figure out whether I'm willing to be a theist in ANY sense. More on that as it develops!

I'm also trying to get over an inferiority complex, but that's a new thing...

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I'm wishing to go back to a church that I can be a part in. I'm a theist, but not your average "run of the mill" type.....*insert sounds of "screaming with fear" preachers*

I also want to get more knowledgeable in French.

AND fix up that meditation area in my garden that Hub cleaned garbage out of.

Quite a lot for a gerbil, yes?

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Hm. I keep going to different churches, randomly. I'm Jewish, and I'll call myself such, but somehow I always find it fun to attend Friends' meetings or Easter Sunday services. Somehow it keeps me grounded, spiritually. To get a sense of what other people are up to in their religious lives. So I don't get too tangled inside my own ponderings, I suppose.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
It's more confirming within one's self to see what other people do in their religious lives (with an open mind, of course) and then draw you own life's belief conclusions based on that.

That's why I still like Christmas Mass and Folk Mass, even though I'm nowhere near Catholic...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hmmm besides finishing up my senior thesis (academic) I am getting through my first novel in a foreign language (Swedish). It's actually more of a docu-book written by a woman who lived amongst the New York Hassidic Jews. Really quite interesting, even if the vocabulary gets a bit too much at times (uh, yeah, now I know words like "holocaust" and "devout" in Swedish
)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I need to complete two Science exams, but I'm very paranoid over a bad grade right now. The damn science teacher deducted two points off my last essays, and I had a multiple choice wrong, and got a damn 96. I thought for sure, it was 100. The worst part is, the damn science teacher can't even explain why she deducted the two points, which pisses me off more. When I complete this course, I'm giving her a zero, and criticizing her, in my end course assessment of the course, teacher, and difficulties of course. Probably won't do anything though.

Our Library sucks! They have like no books on educational or constitutional law. Nothing which discusses the Democratic and Republican party. So, I had to settle with two books on Global Warming, one opposing, and two books on evolution, one for, one opposing. Oh yeah, there were only a few books on language, so they really suck! I just hope I read them this time.

Ok, that covers intellectual, I think.

Religion and Spirituality confuses the hell out me right now. I thought finding the answers to my question would put an end to this continues questioning, but instead, I have a million more questions. Physiological stuff confuses the hell out me to.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'm keeping up with reading more, starting to do some rough writing about last year's experiences...AND, I just took up beading (jewelry making).

Oh...AND! I got the job at public school that I wanted. A Teaching assistant (I'm now a TA at a private grade school). This means more money AND I get to go back to school at not very much cost to me...and finish my degree. (ten years late but who's counting
?)

Spiritual...I just joined my church (but don't mean this to start a debate about God, so please don't
)

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bethanie

I'm keeping up with reading more, starting to do some rough writing about last year's experiences...AND, I just took up beading (jewelry making).
That's awesome! Let us know how the writing goes!

Apple, where have you been?!??!! It's good to hear you are still doing well in school, but is it still that unrelenting competetiveness that is driving you? Careful... That sort of thing comes back to bite somepeople in the proverbial butt, emphasis on some people - not all.

As for the spiritual part, just keep an open mind and keep searching. Have you thought maybe part of the anxiety about spirituality you're feeling is that, unlike the classes and test and science-stuffs, it may turn out that the only "answer" is that there really is no answer to settle the issues?

·
Registered
0 Posts
CharityAJO: I'm serious, I was and still am, pissed over that grade, not bragging. You'd know if I bragged. I strive for 100's, but I settle for 98's, and I don't like anything below. I realize that I can't always get 98's or 100's, but the pressure I put on myself, assures me that I will do the best I could do. The two essays is what get me mad, I spent over 5 hours on them, perfecting them, to me they were almost flawless. I checked, rechecked, and then checked again, but I got two points deducted, one from each. Then the teacher cannot clearly explain what I did wrong, instead she sends me her what her books said, yet she told me go out the book for my next essay.

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power

Apple, where have you been?!??!! It's good to hear you are still doing well in school, but is it still that unrelenting competetiveness that is driving you?
Of course!

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power

As for the spiritual part, just keep an open mind and keep searching. Have you thought maybe part of the anxiety about spirituality you're feeling is that, unlike the classes and test and science-stuffs, it may turn out that the only "answer" is that there really is no answer to settle the issues?
Yes, that makes complete sense to me. I have thought about that, but I think everything has to have an answer. The answer is not always visible, not always the same for everyone, but somewhere, there is an answer, an explanation, or some sort of revelation / manifestation, which allows to the person to move on with ease.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Apple

Yes, that makes complete sense to me. I have thought about that, but I think everything has to have an answer. The answer is not always visible, not always the same for everyone, but somewhere, there is an answer, an explanation, or some sort of revelation / manifestation, which allows to the person to move on with ease.
A couple of readings might be of interest to you. These aren't about WHAT you'll "find" but about the "finding" itself. Michael Washburn (I've mentioned him already in this thread) has some interesting thoguhts on why people in cases like your own, cannot achieve an adequate sense of "revelation" as you put it. Also, Some of William James' writing in "Varieties of Religious Experience" expresses a similar notion of being of a certain life-stage before one can feel that level of spirituality...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Those books sound interesting. If I ever find my Christmas gift cards, I'll probably buy at least one of those. Anyone you suggest over the other? I doubt our crappy little library carries either, but I'll check.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Right now everything is kind of on hold since I will be moving in about a month. Once I move, I plan to take some art classes especially jewelry making. I found an art center that has tons of classes and volunteer opportunities, so I plan to take advantage of this. I want to volunteer a lot since it will probably be awhile before I have a job. I also want to do some window box gardening since I will have a balcolny - maybe some tomatoes and some herbs.

Currently I am trying to read more and watch less tv since I will be cancelling cable at the end of the month. I spend more time outdoors and have taken some great pictures. Can't wait to get them developed.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i like this thread. About me well I am an Art and English major with a Minor in Philosophy. I just got done with my Honors banquet the other night. I won more scholarships and this is good because SCHOOL IS EXPENSIVE
Anyways I just finished my junior year. I will end up being a fifth year senior because I got sick last year. I am hoping to head on to grad school for an MFA in Art/Art History.

As far as philosophy goes, I like study into Eastern culture and Eastern Philosophy. I am not a religious person but I am very spiritual. I find a great deal of peace in meditation and yoga. And although I have classified myself as an athiest in the past I don't really know how to classify myself now. Therefore I don't. I just read things, try to identify with them and when I do, I take note.

Eventually and if things work out, I wouldnt mind getting my Phd in the philosophy of art/aesthetics.

I will spend my summer bartending, giving private art lessons and teaching a class on the history of abstracts. All I can think right now is, wow am I glad last semester is over! That 4.0 nearly KILLED me

·
Registered
0 Posts
missed this thread somehow before... probably so busy with school. even though i have an excruciatingly busy week and a half left this semester, i thought i'd introduce myself...

i guess i'm one of those people who loves to be constantly surrounded by learning - partaking, helping others, sharing, etc. i'm currently a BA linguistics/ spanish minor undergrad, though i'm doing a sort of bridge program and will be beginning MA work in the fall (woohoo!)... PhD starts in 2 years. i work as a teaching assistant at a community college... basically doing whatever there's money in the budget, though usually i wind up doing something language-related. my mom's a nursing and science prof. my bf/best friend/ uh, cohabitant
is an electrical engineering major, works same place i do (handling most of the math stuff) and is just as intellectually charged. good talks. good times.

so the semester is ending soon for me, and that means syntax exams, latin translations, spanish essays, symbolic logic proofs, and all sorts of fun stuff. which leads me to my next bit - i took a yoga class this term, to complement all of the über-analytical academics. it was wonderfully enlightening. so my summer is definately going to include more yoga practice, research into ayurveda, and other beautiful things. i moved about a week ago into a new townhouse, and i'm going to plant a garden. it's gonna be great.

will talk more about stuff later... i'm up to my ears in deadlines. glad i found this, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.