VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent an email to a bread company asking if their products were vegan and this was the response I received:

Quote:
As a rule, all of our products are derived from plant sources, unless otherwise stated, with the exception of milk and eggs. Some products may contain traces of egg or milk ingredients as other products are made in the same facility. Each plant thoroughly cleans the equipment to help prevent contamination.
How do you feel about the "May contain traces of.." I'm somewhat undecided with this one.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
if this is the best you have found then eat it. i assume amything made in a non-vegan company can become contaminated, so do the best you can..

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Sounds like a legal loophole they're providing themselves in case someone finds an eggshell in their "vegan" bread. I've worked at restaurants that insisted that customers be told that items contain only veg*n ingredients, but are made in the same kitchen as meat-foods, so there may be traces leftover. Pain in the ass, but prevents, perhaps, frivilous lawsuits.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's probably to do with severe allergies, like some things say 'may contain traces of nuts'. I'm vegan and happy to eat something from a factory where dairy's used - it's not like they don't clean the production line, as they say in your letter.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Black Heart, I think it's more for allergic people that will get an extreme reaction to just a tiny amount of milk protein or egg or nuts, or whatever. As long as the thing is not listed on the ingredients list also (as in "contains milk ingredients"), I'll eat it anyway. It's not like they were trying to put it in.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I agre that you should eat it. It's pretty much vegan, though it's in the same factory as dairy & eggs, so there could be traces, but the product itself doesn't contain dairy & eggs.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Me, too.

I think you should really only concern yourself with stuff deliberately used as an ingredient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts