VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are five of the most annoying words to a vegan, especially when found on a vegetarian product that looks good.

I found three new products (Lentil, Chick Pea, and Mexican burger mixes). But upon required inspection, I found those five words under the ingredient list. Of course it might not have traces of milk. Who knows?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just saw these products today in the supermarket also but they had may contain traces of egg on them are you in Australia also??

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
It doesn't seem like anything to worry about to me. Companies have to put those disclaimers on their products because vegans are known more for their lawsuits than for their ethics.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It means that the company does not have seperate machines to make the vegan items and the lacto-ovo items. The machines are thoroughly cleaned, but for legal reasons, they include the warning so that if a drop of egg lands in the item and someone has an reaction, the company cannot be sued.

To give you an idea of the chances of those products getting into your food:

I worked with a guy who was deathly allergetic to eggs. He would go into shock if he came in contact with anything containing eggs. He eats packaged items with the "may contain eggs" and has never had a problem.

Some companies want to offer vegan and specitity foods, but they cannot afford new machines, so they double up. There are strict hygiene rules governing the cleaning of the machinery (my ex-husband worked on Pepsi for a summer and I got a tour of the plant. They explained the laws on cleaning Wow! YOu could eat off the insides of those machines).

To protect themselves, they have to put the warning on it. Personally, you're more likely to have a plate at a restaurant with eggs and milk residue on it, then one of these products.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Anyway, there are legally acceptable levels of insects in many foods, too, so if you want to get technical, most grains aren't even vegetarian.

·
Registered
0 Posts
that last post reminded me of what my hubby told me last night. he found a praying mantis cocoon and put it in a mason jar to wait for it to hatch so we can release them in our garden. well they finally hatched last night (they are so cute- 200 of those suckers in one cocoon) and since it was chilly last night he put the jar in the cabinet away from the cats so we can release them in the morning. i told him hell no i dont want them there in case some escaped. i dont want to find dead mantis's in my food so i moved the jar to a non food cabinet. he said, oh you can eat them i said i couldnt and he said "its not an animal" uugghh

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"they are so cute- 200 of those suckers in one cocoon"

----------------------------------------------------------

Wow ... neat
... a whole "congregation" of praying manti

(mantises? hmm, what's the correct plural)

·
Registered
0 Posts
It sucked-My Gum had milk in it! GUM! I had no idea this should be a worry. It was the trident whitening gum or something-I just grabbed it cuz it was 50 cents.

It said "contains a milk product" ARRRGH! I threw it away, how annoying.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand why companies do this..... I was just having a whine because when I first saw those products they looked so good. I've been caught out before with not checking packaging thoroughly enough.

Of course, if the "may..." wasn't there I most likely would have bought it. There's a vegan ice cream available here that states on the packaging of some varieties "Produced on equipment that produces products containing milk/eggs" (or something like that).

And a couple of years ago this same company discovered that their vegan ice cream wasn't exactly vegan as there was some milk product in it (it was like 1 part in a billion, so they weren't required by law to let anyone know, but they did and then they found a replacement). I was impressed with all they did (I corresponded with them during it all on behalf of other vegans.... they eventually came to know me (probably as a pest)).

I've noticed some products highlight the names of ingredients that are common causes of allergies in many people (like soy, milk, wheat, eggs, nuts).... that's a bonus for hardcore ingredients checkers like myself because eggs and milk stand out more.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I avoid all products that have that label and also anything with a DE 'dairy equipment' logo. You never know...

I read labels like crazy...even if something says vegan I read it just in case plus I have to check for allergy causes. i almost freaked out today seeing my only bread option (yeast free kamut white) had a color change. I was like 'this is not my bread'...it is but new colored package. Same thing happened last month with my tex mex burgers. It mostly has to do with the new organic label codes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.