VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
]http://www.league.org.uk/blogs_entry.aspx?id=688]

Quote:
Matt Damons attendance at a bullfight in Mexico last week caused an almighty stir amongst animal lovers. The backlash was instant, and Damon was vilified everywhere from animal rights websites to the Daily Mail. However it seems that we may have been too quick to write him off.

Within twenty-four hours of the story breaking Damon had personally phoned PETA Vice President Lisa Lange to correct the false impression he had given. He explained that he is vehemently opposed to bullfighting, but wanted to see first-hand the cruelty which is inflicted on the animals. Seeing what goes on with his own eyes has reinforced his belief that bullfights should be consigned to the history books.

A spokesperson from PETA said that Matt Damon was upset to think that his attendance was in any way construed to be an endorsement of such a barbaric activity. We hope that Mr Damon will now use his knowledge and celebrity status to influence and educate others about the cruelties of the bullfight.
Phew! That's a relief. I was kind of shocked when I heard he was at a bull fight last week, he has always seemed like a very intelligent and socially conscious guy. Glad to hear he's not a dummy

·
Registered
56 Posts
The exploitation of these animals and the inhumanity which they are subjected to is well-documented in plenty of articles, videos, images etc. I don't understand why one feels the need to see cruelty first-hand in order to recognise it is wrong. Does one need to witness rape or child abuse first-hand in order to appreciate the extent of its barbarity and cruelty?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantDream View Post

The exploitation of these animals and the inhumanity which they are subjected to is well-documented in plenty of articles, videos, images etc. I don't understand why one feels the need to see cruelty first-hand in order to recognise it is wrong. Does one need to witness rape or child abuse first-hand in order to appreciate the extent of its barbarity and cruelty?
Greater impact.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Good to know. I was worried, he is also has some movie that makes zoos look better coming out. But then I heard some saying that this zoo story is true and the man whom he played basically saved all the animals from dying

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
He shouldn't apologize. It's not his fault everyone jumped to a false conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantDream View Post

The exploitation of these animals and the inhumanity which they are subjected to is well-documented in plenty of articles, videos, images etc. I don't understand why one feels the need to see cruelty first-hand in order to recognise it is wrong.
Spoken like someone who doesn't have unlimited funds to fly anywhere in the world to experience something first hand. Matt Damon doesn't watch the Discovery channel, he flies to ****ing Africa and hides up in a goddam accacia tree.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Greater impact.
I suppose the argument that "there's nothing like seeing it with your own eyes" has some merit but I am just questioning the necessity of attendance. I just wonder why first-hand experience is required for reinforcement, surely hearing all the stories and seeing all the videos of bulls being savagely treated should cause a visceral and instinctive negative reaction. Bullfighting and it's associated problems are fairly well documented as far as I am aware. Even if I had the required time and money to attend a bullfight, I wouldn't go. It's not as if it's an issue where you think "Hmm, it's probably wrong but I'll go just to make sure".

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Here's Matt being disgusted by how what he's seeing is affecting him deeply to the core of his socially conscientious Hollywood liberal self:

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Here's Matt being disgusted by how what he's seeing is affecting him deeply to the core of his socially conscientious Hollywood liberal self:
That's him yawning.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

That's him yawning.
It is??? I thought it was one of the aliens from Independence Day painting a Cubist representation of Mississippi River.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That pic is so much like yawning that it made me want to yawn too.

Who knows what the real story is.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
In other news, Matt Damon paid someone to torture and murder his parents in front of him. Not because he was endorsing the act in any way, but because he wanted to experience the same cruelty and trauma that other people who witness the torture and murder of their parents experience first-hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts