VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A nearby HFS started carrying Match meats, so I had to give them a try. All their products so far are vegan. Their website claims they are more high-end (gourmet) than other faux meats. They combine soy and wheat gluten for a distinctive texture.<br><br>
The first one I tried was the ground pork. This product stood out to me because I have never seen a faux pork product like this before. It comes as a fairly large one inch thick fillet. To clarify, it was like white meat pork, not pink. It does not come pre-seasoned (which I appreciate), so I smothered it in Anthony's Jamaican Jerk Sauce (a local product produced by a small chain of restaurants in my area). I baked it for about an hour. How did it taste? Well, it was of a different standard than any other soy based meat I ever had before. It had a very light flavor, so you do have to season it yourself. The texture was just like my memory of pork. I wish the pork had a slightly bolder flavor, but I think it was their intention to flavor it mildly.<br><br>
The second product I tried was the Italian Sausage. It comes in the same format: a one inch thick cut about the same size. I took the block of faux meat and rolled golf ball sized sausage balls. I purposely didn't add any spices because I wanted to see what it tasted like on its own. I baked them for about 20 minutes before topping my plate of spaghetti and homemade sauce. First bite was: Wow, it is good. It had a really dense texture and fairly rich flavor. I think the predominant flavor was fennel. Personally, I think they should have added some oregano and basil, but once again, they leave the spicing up to you. These meatballs were very hearty. Next time, I will definitely add oregano, basil, garlic salt and breadcrumbs. I think that combination would make a stellar meatball.<br><br>
Overall, I was very pleased with both products. They do step up the bar for quality faux meats. This is more of a serious cooking product, so you have to do a little more work yourself by adding spices, slicing it up the way you want or forming your own meatballs. But that opens up possibilities that other faux meats cannot offer. To contrast, one of my favorite premade meatballs is by Nate's. Their products are pre-spiced and preformed, so that's what you have to go with - ping pong ball sized meatballs. You don't get the option of making larger meatballs or spicy meatballs. I like convenience of having everything done for me, but I also like the flexibility that Match offers.<br><br>
Both products I'm reviewing came in 16oz sizes and cost $7.99 per pack. Considering the amount for the money, I would say that is an excellent deal. The HFS also carries their breakfast sausage, which I will try and add to this review. They also carry their crab cakes, but considering I could not stand seafood as an omni, I wont be trying that. Match offers a few more faux meats, but no store near me carries them.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I have never had them or seen them before but they seem to get great reviews on every veg*n site I go on. They sound really good. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've made vegan crab rangoon with their fake crab (not the cakes) and some tofutti. It was delicious. I haven't tried any of the other types but I may have to now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts