VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
well i can't say for marmite but i have an alternative to vegemite which is from the netherlands and i eat it with vegan margarine on toasted bread mmmmmm

i used to eat vegemite until i found out the phillip morris owns kraft - uugghhh

·
Registered
685 Posts
i like marmite with hummus. i used to make sandwiches by spreading a thin layer of marmite on whole wheat toast, then a layer of hummus, then some spinach and tomato slices. good stuff.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't know what it is made out of but it is like dark brown tarrish looking salty gook. Can you tell I don't like it? A friend of mine made me try it once. Yech!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is Marmite?

Ingredients:

Yeast Extract

Salt

Vegetable Extract

Vitamin: Niacin

Spices

Vitamins: B1, B2, Folic Acid, B12

"Marmite is dark brown-colored savory spread made from the yeast that is a by-product of the brewing industry. It has a very strong, slightly salty flavor. It is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it type of food.

It comes in small (2-5 inches high) bulb-shaped glass jars with a distinctive yellow lid.

Children in Britain are generally fed it from the time they are weaned, and most never grow out of it. It has a high B-vitamin content, as well as riboflavin and niacinand as such is very healthy. (The vitamin-B complex helps prevent anemia.)"

http://www.gty.org/~phil/marmite.htm#whatis

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Marmite is really great for a "beefy" flavor in recipes. It's great for a "beef" broth, soups, and I use it to make my "beef meat" substitutes. For example, add some to your burgers or tofus, seitans.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I love Marmite! I even take a jar on holiday with me.

Marmite on toast with margerine.

Marmite on toast with margerine and slices of tofu.

Marmite on toast with margerine and hummus

Marmite on toast with margerine and boiled plum tomatoes.

Marmite on toast with margerine and baked beans.

Marmite on toast with margerine and lots of cooked mushrooms.

Marmite sandwiches with margerine, mayo and salad.

Marmite added to stews

Marmite added to tomato pasta sauces

Marmite, pepper and margerine in mashed up potatoes.

My husband hates it! [But then he also hates hummus,olives,and avocados]

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to like it...I like most foods. Yesterday, I ate some on good bread, toasted & buttered (E.Balance) with baked beans (interesting...)

It has a slight hint of molasses flavor to me.

A small jar cost $5...if I don't eat it right away, how long will it keep? I assume that I should keep it refrigerated?

I am a tiny bit concerned about it containing heavy metals...is that a problem?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Marmite seems to keep months[for ever?], and it's the one thing in a jar that I don't keep in the fridge. I might do in the summer if I think there are flies about.

In the Uk Marmite is inexpensive as food costs go, especially as it's so concentrated. There's a whole site for Marmite.. last time I saw it it had a webcam on a jar of Marmite and it was interactive with fans. I'll look for it. I have no idea about the metals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Organic Gourmet (Scenario International in California, imports the stuff from Germany) makes a Low Sodium soup & stock concentrate that is much lower in sodium than Marmite/Vegemite. It is only 110 mg per teaspoon. Gives a delicious flavor to soups & stews.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by strawberry

I don't know what it is made out of but it is like dark brown tarrish looking salty gook. Can you tell I don't like it? A friend of mine made me try it once. Yech!
Yes, I tried it once, last year. It was the most horrible thing I have ever placed in my mouth... next to an 'accidental' chunk of sausage I once found on my cheese-less veggie pizza.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I tried vegemite once and couldn't believe that some people consider it edible. Even the smell was vile to me. But then, I'm American...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
*bump* I just got some Marmite today. Tasted very strong...I didn't really like it because of that, but the after taste was like cheese, and not so bad. Any other ways you guys like to eat it? I put it on bread, I think next time I will put less on so it's just a hint of flavor.

·
Registered
828 Posts
So I can use vegimite or marmite to make soup stock? My cousin brought me some vegimite from Australia but it's so disgusting that I can't eat it, but I want to use it in something.

Can it be used in place of nutritional yeast?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Now it may sound a little weird.

But the way i eat it is by:

Spreading plently of vegan margaine on to a piece of bread.

The putting minute amounts of it on top of the margarine

Then springle sesame seeds

and then put it udner the grill

as weird as it may sound it beautiful.

Sometimes i put nutrional yeast in place of the sesame seeds which is also very yummy

·
Registered
682 Posts
Marmite is definately a love or hate food. Its taste can be very strong at first, if spreading on toast spread it really, really thin at first, often people first trying it will spread a little on and then keep scraping at the toast until its nearly gone (I like to think of it as the pesto approach. A work colleague keen to try pesto, bought one of those small jars and thinking that he should use the whole jar (rather than a teaspoon or two) he ruined any chance of liking the sauce).

Another serving suggestion (once you're used to the taste perhaps) is to have it as a drink; a teaspoon full (or less) in a mug with hot water.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts