VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is marmite suitable for vegans?

Yesterday was my first day of being a vegan so I bought some recipie books and stuff and I've decided to try and make some French Onion Soup tonight, but the recipie calls for Marmite!

Cheers.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by senium View Post

Is marmite suitable for vegans?

Yesterday was my first day of being a vegan so I bought some recipie books and stuff and I've decided to try and make some French Onion Soup tonight, but the recipie calls for Marmite!

Cheers.
If you are making the recipe from this month's VegNews, it's divine!!! Definitely a keeper.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Could someone describe marmite? I love trying new things and don't know anyone who uses it (or have heard of it!)
I kind of like nutritional yeast
I use tamarind paste concentrate
I like tahini
I do not like brewers yeast
I like mushrooms cooked

·
Registered
489 Posts
Marmite tastes like rank vegemite

Probably not too helpful.

ETA .. I licked some out of a jar I have just for you. It tastes like strong beef style stock, really salty, but kinda sweet at the same time. A little noochy.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

the texture and colour of treacle, except very salty, instead of sweet.
I reckon it's much thicker than treacle. Treacle will pour if you are patient.. no way marmite would.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Marmite is vegan but just an FYI it's made by unilever which is one of the biggest vivisection companies. Vegemite (in the UK, not aus) is made by kraft so I tend to buy supermarket own brands. Or as Pixie said, some vegans buy natex although I've never seen this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Funny you should mention that lucky charm. I have literally found that out 10 minutes ago and just came here to post it. I feel like I have just had a dagger go through my heart :-( Since turning vegan, I have been boycotting any Unilever brands because of their animal testing. It's not been any issue as I've just had to change from Sure deoderant and swapped the monthly Pot Noodle for a Tesco one. I have consumed Marmite by the mountainfull since I was a boy. Wear a black armband for me today please!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Race View Post

Funny you should mention that lucky charm. I have literally found that out 10 minutes ago and just came here to post it. I feel like I have just had a dagger go through my heart :-( Since turning vegan, I have been boycotting any Unilever brands because of their animal testing. It's not been any issue as I've just had to change from Sure deoderant and swapped the monthly Pot Noodle for a Tesco one. I have consumed Marmite by the mountainfull since I was a boy. Wear a black armband for me today please!
I read your other post and I was going to send you a pm about that as I thought you didn't realise Marmite was Unilever. Another vegan told me that there is a Meridian spread that tastes a lot like Marmite. I got Natex from H&B but to be honest I didn't like it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks Pixie. I guess the best next best bet is Tesco Yeast Extract, which is good, but nothing matches Marmite. Nevermind. I will look out for Natex as well and give it a try.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Race View Post

Sorry
hope you find a suitable alternative brand that you like.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Marmite and Vegemite are not common in the U.S. However, I found a store yesterday that carries both of them and I almost bought one, but did not. To find out what it would be good for, I searched on google. I ran across Yahoo's Q&A section and almost everyone says it tasted like crap (unless you were raised on it - a couple people said they liked it).

So, my question is, is it possible that I would like it if I bought it? What does it taste like? I imagine it would taste like beef bouillon. If I bought some, what should I make with it? I read the comment about the French Onion soup and that sounds like a good possibility. Is there anything else that it would be good in?

Edit: also, is there a popular opinion about which one tastes better?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I adore marmite, and I wasn't raised on it. It is similar to sticking a spoon in a jar of bouillion. i like it on toast with EB and avocado. It's just really, really, really savory. You don't use a ton of it though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Marmite I read somewhere is also a source of B12. Vegemite though, couldn't live without it. It is as they say, an acquired taste unless you grew up on it. Thick on toast with banana. Used to have it with cheese when little on sandwiches, though haven't tried it with toffuti.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.