VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://video.nytimes.com/video/2012/...e-chicken.html

This is a very exciting video, I'm thrilled that an alternative is being made that could get more people to move away from meat and therefore less factory farmed animals. The plant based 'chicken' looks like it tastes delicious, and I was impressed that it was able to fool Bittman so he couldn't tell which was which.

And it's really cool because Bittman is an omnivore and he's promoting this product for people who still eat meat, if it catches on it could be huge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
heck yes! wanna get me some of that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
As far as I'm concerned chicken without anything else added has about as much discernible flavour as A4 printing paper. Possibly less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Fake chicken, pork and fish have been around about 30 years ago to provide the convenience for people to go vegetarian. However, many critics would say why mimic those meats if we do not have the desire to eat them? People are hard to please. But true vegetarians and vegans eats less of such processed stuff and go natural
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leong_cf View Post

Fake chicken, pork and fish have been around about 30 years ago to provide the convenience for people to go vegetarian. However, many critics would say why mimic those meats if we do not have the desire to eat them? People are hard to please. But true vegetarians and vegans eats less of such processed stuff and go natural
Why does it matter whether or not you have the desire to eat them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
fadeaway: "So veg*ns that eat processed foods like veggieburgers are not TRUE veg*ns?"

Veggie people who eat fake meats regularly are mostly beginners.

I think the offending word here is 'true'. That's the way how Mandarin describe a regular vegetarian who're more health conscious about their foods. We do eat processed stuff. The difference is we tend to eat less of it.

Savvington: "Why does it matter whether or not you have the desire to eat them?"

It matters to skeptics and critics because they think veggie people who still frequently eat these processed stuff are hypocrites because they haven't truly given up the habit and desire.

The usual response we give to skeptics is telling them it was created to help people transit to full vegetarian diet. And it's also an interesting addition to vegetarian lifestyle. It's also more convenient to ordinary people to order foods as usual in the restaurant or food centres. The same chicken rice is still an available option except we prefix the word 'veggie'.

Rabbit: "now I have to give up vegan burgers, too?"

This response is the same as Fadeaway which exaggerate my statement to the point of being ridiculous. "eats less of such processed stuff and go natural"

In fact, many vegetarian Americans (mostly colleagues) I met advised me to eat less of highly processed foods and encourage me to go natural. I don't see anything wrong in those statements
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leong_cf View Post

It matters to skeptics and critics because they think veggie people who still frequently eat these processed stuff are hypocrites because they haven't truly given up the habit and desire.

The usual response we give to skeptics is telling them it was created to help people transit to full vegetarian diet. And it's also an interesting addition to vegetarian lifestyle. It's also more convenient to ordinary people to order foods as usual in the restaurant or food centres. The same chicken rice is still an available option except we prefix the word 'veggie'.
The part that vexes me is why you would need to give up desire to be a vegetarian in the first place. I would assume if someone stopped eating meat and still had the desire to, they probably stopped for a reason that had nothing to do with desire in the first place, like health reasons or some kind of activism. So they're unlikely to be using something along the lines of "it doesn't actually taste all that great" as a way of convincing people, which would have been somewhat hypocritical. Or at least misleading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

True vegetarians don't eat dead animals. It doesn't matter if the rest of their diet has processed foods or not.
If someone wants to eat whole, natural foods, that's perfectly ok, and good for them. But someone whose diet consists of processed veggie burger and the like is no less a vegetarian.
Exactly!

As for the OP: I think the veggie chicken looks great. I'm looking forward to it eventually hitting the stores (keeps fingers crossed). Their start up locations was pretty interesting! I would be freaked out to work in an abandoned hospital like that. It's awesome that Mark Bittman was so open to trying the chicken and it was cute how he got all excited about the chicken he made himself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,248 Posts
Someone criticized how I eat veg baconaise. There's an element of truth to the Simpsons 7th level vegan jibe. vegans are some crazy mofos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,658 Posts
I think this is fab news.

I think some of the meat substitutes taste almost exactly like meat (without being gross) and my omni hubbie agrees with me. I had a "lamb" dish in a vegan Chinese restaurant and it was very realistic but it was actually made from mushrooms.


Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

Someone criticized how I eat veg baconaise. There's an element of truth to the Simpsons 7th level vegan jibe. vegans are some crazy mofos.
Haha. (Otomik - your avatar is so cute by the way!
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Quote:
However, many critics would say why mimic those meats if we do not have the desire to eat them?
This is a strawman of many vegetarians and vegans position. They didn't give up meat because they didn't want the taste or texture of it any more, they often give it up for reasons tangential to flavor, such as animal rights and environment. They may still actually want the taste and texture of meat (or at least a calorie dense protein source), so they seek out veggie meats.

Quote:
Veggie people who eat fake meats regularly are mostly beginners.
I take issue with that, Ive been meat-free for 12 years now, I love fake meats now more than ever (especially because the ones on the market are often higher quality now). You do also realize that "fake meat" is a vague continuum/false catagory. Many veggie restaurant sell a large falafel patty on a bun as a "veggie burger" and some old veggie cookbooks actually use falafel balls as meat balls. So is felafel a fake meat? Is tempeh a fake meat? You can kinda make bacon out of it and its often used in place of meat, but in general isnt very "meaty". Is tofu a fake meat? Or is it its own thing, tofu?

I dont think fake meats (how every you categorize em) are for transition, rather they are just one more food choice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
From the point of view of someone who actually wants to advocate for fewer people eating animals, the reality of what people eat should be considered before personal ideals of "purity" or who is "truly" vegan.

Bittman in this situation is an example of a person who is making an excellent point that may persuade people to eat fewer animals, even if they don't intend to become vegan.

Telling someone they're "not vegan enough", on the other hand, is probably not a good way to make positive changes in the world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

And it's really cool because Bittman is an omnivore and he's promoting this product for people who still eat meat, if it catches on it could be huge
I can see the add campaign now:

Take the blind taste test challenge and see if real meat is really worth this:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Bittman is an omnivore but he's deeply ethically opposed to factory farming. He's actually one of the best and strongest voices for the animals right now. His columns are read by far more people than most pro vegan columns. He has real ability to affect purchasing patterns of his readers.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top