VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Okay guys...........HELP! I have asked and asked and no one seems to really have any answers for me.

I am doing a half marathon in August and in January. I have been traininig my butt off, but I find it harder and harder to get enough food to eat. I am constantly feeling light headed when I am working out. I should say, too, that I teach exercises classes during the week and the extra training is on top of the classes.

I guess my question is.......has anyone out there run a marathon or half marathon on a vegetarian/vegan diet? Is there anything special that you need to do?

HELP!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I would suggest checking the "eating to gain weight" threads. All the diet suggestions on there consist of high fat/calorie/bulk foods that will help keep you going.

Until then, all I can suggest is that you eat like a HORSE! Plenty of oils, TONS of nuts, avacados, and nut butters. Six meals a day!!

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
What kind of food are you eating??? Complex carbohydrates are super important when your training for long distance runs to maintain energy levels and the majority of your diet should consist of them. Things like pasta, rice, also lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, fruit juices. How often do you eat? Maybe you should eat smaller meals more often? When I train for longer runs I eat a lot more than normal...especially after my long runs, then I eat everything in the house.
I try to eat three regular meals and lots of small snacks in between. Lots of carbs, more fats than I usually eat (but you don't need to much), and my snacks are usually healthy...fruits, veggies...and chips and salsa.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slynny - have you run marathons? Half marathons? Sounds like you have done this before!

I have been eating complex carbs - but it's getting hot here in MD and it's so hard to continue to eat when you are hot!

I'm going to try the chips and salsa - have not thought about that! I have been chowing on salad, fruits, etc. I know I eat Peanut butter like crazy on my long run days. I just feel so shakey! It's horrible - and I have taught fitness classes for years, but this is really different.

Thanks for the info! Tell me about your runs!

·
Registered
469 Posts
How about sports drinks? Have you tried using sports drinks to replace lost glycogen? You could even use those on long runs to replenish your stores if they're getting depleted as you run and you are running out of energy. And I agree with what slynny said about complex carbs. Pasta and grains - food of the champions! There was a pro tennis player, can't remember who right now, that used to eat like 5 bananas before a match in order to have that vital energy and endurance. I'll check my running books to see if there any info that might help you. Also check out http://runnersworld.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Protein and lots of complex carbs. Ditto on the smaller meals throughout the day--it really makes a difference! Try to eat every 90 minutes or so. Don't eat too many large meals--they take alot of energy to digest (why most people feel sleepy after eating a big lunch)

Try to stay away from too many sugars and starches--don't eliminate them, but don't rely on them. They tend to burn you out more easily, and leave you feeling tired.

Use a carb booster during your runs (ClifShot, GU, etc), and eat before your runs even if you don't feel hungry. Make sure you take these gels with water because they require a certain amount to be properly digested. Check the packaging.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well.

Suggestions:

Have a bagel & soy yogurt before a run. Or a banana or two (you cant have enough bananas!)

A baked potato with toppings of your choice.

Pasta! Rice!

Veggie Burgers.

Granola-type mix: Nuts, oats, raisins, marshmallows, etc.

Personally, I love oranges. And Clif Bars--I'm always munching on them.

Vegetables.

Don't rely too much on fruits--they contain a lot of sugar and will give you an initial boost, but will quickly fade away--combine fruit with nuts or a soy yogurt.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi Smaurer, I have run a few marathons, several half marathons, and lots of other long distance races while maintaining a vegetarian diet. I giggled when reading how hungry you are getting with all your training. I often felt that my life became about my what next meal was going to be, and how I was going to fit in a run between feeling starving and feeling full. While running I would often day dream about what I was going to eat when I finished.

I ate a lot of mixed nuts, I mean almost a pound a day for a while.

It's been a few years scince I've done any distance training, I only run about five miles, five days a week now. I'll try to remember a typical eating day while training hard core.

For breakfast, I would have a soy protein shake made with freshly juiced fruits.

Then an hour later go for a run.

Have a green vegetable juice and a couple of handfulls of nuts shortly after my run.

For lunch I would have a huge salad, rice and bean burrito, or tofu, tempeh, veggie burger, you get the idea.

Afternoons, I would have another vegetable juice.

Then perhaps brown rice cakes with hummus, or more nuts, or another protein shake.

A few days a week I would include a second workout late in the afternoon. Weights, yoga, rollerblading, biking, or another run.

For dinner I would have another salad, plus pasta, or protein, or root vegetables. The choices really are endless.

I would often eat soy ice cream after dinner or vegan oatmeal cookies.

I also drank a ton of water over the course of the day.

Do you have a running partner to train with?

Some of my training was done with a group of other vegetarians, it made it seem a lot easier. Good luck to you and if you have any questions about training feel free to email me.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Smaurer,

I've never run a marathon but I'm training for one right now...well I was...I'm taking a break for an injury, but I plan to start up again next week. I ran a half marathon once a long time ago. I've been a runner for many years but usually shorter distances 3-6 miles. What's your training plan for your marathon? I'm sure I have more info somewhere on nutrition and running. When I find it I'll post it for you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much guys! This is SO helpful! I would have NEVER been able to figure out all this info! And all the info I get on fitness, etc., is full of chicken, chicken, chicken! I would rather starve than eat a chicken - GROSS!

Baby - thanks so much for the food info. Once I saw what you were eating AND I realized that other people were constantly hungry I didn't feel like a pig! I know exactly how you feel - running and thinking about what you will eat next! My friends all think I am crazy - but I just have so much fun. And yes, I have a group of women who are going to do this 1/2 marathon with me. We all are very different, but we have the best time together!

Slynny.....it's a 1/2 marathon (Virginia Beach Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon). Right now I am doing 3-4 miles Mon/Wed/Fri and on Sundays I will go for a longer run - up to 8 miles. I teach a step class and a spinning class on tuesdays and a step class and a body pump class on Thursdays. Also- Monday nights I take a yoga class and on Saturday mornings I teach a Pilates class. So.....I am actually getting a lot of stretching in and as far as the fitness classes go - I have taught aerobics for 23 years, so this is like a walk in the park for me. I do consider this cross training and consider Saturdays a day off of heavy training, since all I am doing is stretching and I walk around the room a lot. Aren't you training for the Marine Corps Marathon? As far as mileage - I will gradually increase my mileage as the time draws near (labor day weekend in August). As for speed - hey - i'm old......I'll get there eventually! HA

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I'll just add to this one.

I ran the Breckenridge Crest Mountain Marathon this weekend (Aug. 31, 2003) in Breckenridge, Colorado.

Some "marathon" details:

Distance: 24.5 miles

Average elevation: about 11,000 feet (10,560 feet = 2 miles)

High point: 12,400 feet

Terrain: steep, rugged, mountain trail running

Elevation gain: 5,000 vertical feet

Winning time: 3 hours 37 minutes

Back of the pack time: 7 hours 30 minutes (approx.)

My time: 4 hours 46 minutes

Final results are not posted yet, but I guess my time ended up somewhere in the top third of the field.

This was my first marathon and I'm pretty much "average" in the talent area. Also, I took a fall about 8 miles into the race, gashed my knee on a rock (which required 5 stitches after the race) and ran the remaining 16 miles with the injury.

I started training in June, which is also when I went from a vegetarian to vegan diet. Judging from training runs and the marathon itself, I think the vegan diet helped avoid lactic acid build up and maybe other toxins and therefore recovery. I don't know since I'm not a nutrition expert. I felt great though, both in training and in the race. So, if anyone is afraid of not getting enough strength or endurance from a vegan diet, they shouldn't be. It gave me all the strength I needed. Go vegan.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ditto, ditto, ditto about the bananas. I am training for a marathon and was having a problem feeling light headed during my runs. Now, I eat bananas before and after my run and I am fine. The bananas also help to repair your muscles. I have a task, because I am overweight and training. I've lots tons of weight since being veg and my enery has made me want to run all the time. So, I thought, "what better way to push myself, than to train for a marathon." So, I'm doing it. It's fun to train, isn't it? I've always liked running but couldn't really run long distances until I started filling my body with energy boosters instead of greasy meat filled foods...bluck!!!. I am a little worried at how quickly I am losing weight however so I've been eating lots of fatty foods like avacado and nuts. Don't get me wrong, I want to lose it, but I'm afraid it's unsafe how quickly I have been. Funny that I just made this about me....sorry
. So, yeah, eat lots of bananas becasue they are filled with carbs, calories and sugars. Everything yuu need to keep your head heavy and not light

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lot of good advice there.

I run vegan diet. Sometimes I run 100miles a week. Here are some tips that have worked well for me:

1) Eat and drink something AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after a run. If I do this I know I will recover better and be ok for my next run.

2) EAT MORE OFTEN. 3 meals a day is not enough when you are a runner. Snack throughout the day.

3) The day before a long run make sure you eat lots. On sundays I run for 2+ hours and I know if I don`t eat well on saturday I will "hit the wall" earlier in my run.

4) Instead of water drink orange juice, sugary drinks, soy milk for extra calories. I don`t drink much water at all except when it is a hot day. Make sure you clean your teeth well!

5) Eat more calorie dense stuff. I eat TONS of peanut butter. I don`t know what I would do without the stuff!

6) Make sure you get some protein e.g. tofu, peanut butter. Don`t go protein mad though.

7) Runners need a lot of iron so make sure you get enough of this. Sometimes I take an iron supplement.

Don`t know if it is of any help but here is what I ate and did today although my diet is probably far from perfect.

7am: 3 weetabix + soya milk, glass of OJ, black coffee

8am: 5 miles easy run then chocolate flapjack, bottle of lucozade, bottle of water

11am black coffee, packet of crisps, packet of starburst sweets

1pm peanut butter and salad sandwich, can of irn-bru, 2 vegetable somosas, banana, 2 jam doughnuts

3pm black coffee, 3 ginger nut biscuits

5.30pm 8 mile run steady followed by glass of soy milk and glass of OJ, banana

Soon - indian takeaway- vegetable bhuna, boiled rice and popadoms

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by on roasties View Post

Oops, just realised the original post was from 5 months ago.

Anyway, good going mountainvegan!
Thanks.

This thread is a moldie oldie - perhaps I should have started a new one. Anyway, there were some omnis around that wondered where I was getting enough protein in training - which is why I posted this (other than to brag).
As all you vegans know, there's plenty of protein to be had w/o animal stuff - you don't even have to try.

The thread starter's marathon was this past weekend too. Wonder how Smaurer did?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is recipe of vegatarian sports drinks. It contains everything: simple and complex carboydrates, minerals and easy to assimilate proteins.

Ingredients

1 ripe banana, peeled

5 oranges, squeezed

80 g fresh tempeh

Directions

Very easy: mix all ingredients until smooth. You can add some water to make it thinner or sugar to make it sweeter. We find that if you mix the tempeh first with some water you can get a smoother drink.

Very healthy and lots of nutrients! Tempeh should be very fresh with no off-flavours. If you are not sure about the quality of tempeh you should first steam it for 10 minutes and cool it.

http://www.tempeh.info/recipes/recip...p=4&recipe=409

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ok, I'm reviving this thread from the dead. I need help! I'm currently doing the cool running 5K program, and I've got about 4 weeks left. So, right now, I'm jogging like 15 to 20 minutes out of my 30 minutes workouts. I do that 3 times a week. I also take gym indoor cycling (45 mins) about 5 times a week, and hit the eliptical trainer for 45 minutes maybe once or twice during the week. I also try to hit the weights 2 or 3 times during the week. I have been working out for a good while, but, I am just getting back into cycling and running at about the same time. My problem is that I'm constantly starving now! I weigh 120 lbs., and I'm 5'9" (almost 23 years old.) I know that's pretty slim, but, I usually ate around 2000 calories a day even before I started getting more into this exercise! My question is - how much should I be eating to make sure that I'm not overdoing it on my body? I'm not trying to gain weight, just trying to eat enough to fuel my body for these workouts. When I'm home I try to graze and eat just whenever I'm hungry, but, I have to pack my meals a lot as I work full time and go to school part time, so, I need to plan to get in around a certain # of calories to make sure I get what I need. My typical week is:

Sunday - 45 minute cycle class, 30 minute jog/walk

Monday - 45 minute cycle class, 45 minutes weightlifting

Tuesday - 45 minute cycle class, 30 minute jog/walk

Wednesday - 45 minutes weightlifting

Thursday - 45 minute cycle class, 30 minute jog/walk

Friday - 45 minutes elipitcal trainer

Saturday - 45 minute cycle class, 45 minutes weightlifting

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Great workout, but what are you eating right now? How much complex carbs? 2000 calories doesn´t seem a lot for your workout. Your basic metabolic rate is elevated for a considerable time after workout.

// I liked Lake Cherokee much better than Lake Eola!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts