VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
100% Oragnice Maple Syrup, I stay pretty far away from anything that has any other ingredient in it. My local food co-op has some local brands that are pretty awesome.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I live in the heart of NY and maple sugaring, so I use local too, although have bought "real" maple syrup at Hannaford's one time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use agave nectar... I prefer it in more things. Maple syrup is good for some things, but not in tea etc for me.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I don't avoid honey, but I do use maple syrup sometimes. It is expensive, so when possible I just substitute sugar. I also have some brown rice syrup, but that's almost as expensive as the maple.

I sometimes use molasses or sorghum syrup in recipes, but those have stronger flavors so I don't use them as frequently (usually only when the recipe calls for molasses).

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Agave nectar all the way! I'm not a fan of maple syrup because it's more expensive and causes a sugar rush and crash for me. The reason behind this could be that agave nectar has a lower glycemic index while maple syrup's is much higher. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also do not use honey.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Maple syrup is pretty expensive here in Germany, and it's also kind of rare - I've never had any before going to Australia. It's possible to find it in a few places here, although it's definitely not cheap.

I use it mostly to sweeten my oatmeal, which I always used to do with honey. Otherwise... Sometimes to cook with (some tomato sauces can do very well with some mustard and maple syrup!), sometimes baking, and tonight I'm trying to make banana icecream, which I'll sweeten with cocoa and maple syrup. Oh, and sometimes over pancakes, although I've grown up eating those with sugar sprinkled on top.

·
Registered
721 Posts
mmmm, maple syrup. i use organic maple syrup and i try to buy local when i can. i go to farmer's markets and craft fairs that tend to sell homemade stuff. i also use raw agave and rice syrup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts