VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids go to classes are the local Audobon society, they went to the first class on maple syrup making yesterday, next class they will tap a tree then will boil down some sap.<br><br>
but anyway, the instructor mentioned that at one time maple syrup producers were using a "hormone or chemical" to make the sap flow longer.......<br><br>
i had never heard this, i tried to google it but couldnt find any info.<br><br>
she doesnt think they do it anymore, and wasnt sure what the name of the substance was.<br><br>
has anyone heard of this?<br><br>
also in my googling i found that maple syrup can contain lead........but i didnt read how producers remove it.........<br><br>
anyone know anything about that?<br><br>
we use pure maple syrup all the time, but now i have doubts about it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ive heard that some maple syrup producers add some lard while boiling it down to cut down on the foaming. perhaps this is similar to what your tlaking about

·
Registered
19 Posts
What they were probably talking about is that some producers use formaldehyde to make the sap flow more freely. I am pretty sure only really big producers do this. My family used to sugar and I had never heard of that until recently.<br><br><br><br>
If you get your syrup from the grocery store or a chain like Trader Joes, or you get it very cheap, then you have a valid concern. Personally I wouldn't get it from there. Not only do you run the risk of additives, but it probably sat in a warehouse for a couple years.<br><br><br><br>
If it is labeled as "organic" or it comes in a bottle with a little label that has the name and address of the producer, you are dealing with a small scale operation that is probably more trustworthy. This is a great time of year because if you live in a producing area you can go to a sugar house and watch your syrup being made and buy it right there. It might seem like a lot to pay all at once, but buying a couple quarts to a gallon once a year direct from the sugarer is sustainable and smart. Support small, local business and get a superior product! (sugaring is a labor of love, I have to take the opportunity to promote the little guy!)<br><br><br><br>
As far as fats, we did use it to break the tension in the evaporating pan. We always used margarine; some places may use butter or lard. But honestly, the amount that would end up in your bottle is so miniscule you wouldn't be able to even measure it. Again, if you know your producer this is something you can ask them.<br><br><br><br>
HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts