VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Some mangas take risks, everything in ergo proxy, from the story to the characters, is "proven" stuff made to work, there is plenty of mangas like that, it doesn't make them bad and they can be very enjoyable, but you just feel and know that there is already money behind and that it has been made to make money, just as you can feel a whole studio behind. When you compare it to things like wolf's rain, FLCL, the difference is clear. Of course they each of those is guilty of trying to make money, but at least they don't try to please everyone. I prefer when someone does something his own way without caring ( too much ) if everybody will love it and if it will make them billionaires. Time of eve would be between the two for example. It's an equation between originality, risk, etc...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You're welcome :)

Don't hesitate if i am not clear :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I finished Samurai Champloo a while back and was impressed. The mysterious plot of the series, going after some unknown samurai who smells of sunflowers, was ingenious and the blending of hip-hop and modern themes I thought was well done.

I'm getting into Blue Exorcist currently.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

You can probably enjoy Monster, mystery, psychology etc a recognized masterwork

Wolf's rain, the most poetic manga i know, wolves/humans looking after a flower/girl

Ergo Proxy ? Mass Market but not a bad one.

If you like short stories with little action check Mushishi, spiritual creatures and folk mythology

Or

Fullmetal Alchemist, steampunky, take care more dark than it seems

Such a great list, I love all of these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

If ya want a quick read. I'd say Beast Master.

Nothing special about it. It's just a sweet, quick story
smiley.gif

http://www.mangareader.net/931/beast-master.html
Beast Master is definitely one of the cuter stories out there!

Have you read/seen Psycho-Pass? It's quite new, but definitely one of my favourite series of this year :)

http://mangafox.me/manga/kanshikan_tsunemori_akane/

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Psycho pass is probably ok for the psychological side, i did read the first two volumes.

On the psychological side also, and very funny and quite motivational, i am currently watching the anime adaptation of the ongoing Space Brothers,

very nice, basically about 2 brothers going to space, but you follow one of them mostly as he goes trough the entry exams etc, it's a manga that brings smile and fresh air. Uchuu Kyodai.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've watched a ton of anime over the years (Full Metal Alchemist, Inuyasha, Naruto, etc), but I've never been a big manga reader. I know that my mother reads manga online (though I don't know which) and my father subscribes to Shonen Jump last time I checked.

One anime (that's also a manga in one of the Jumps) is Fairy Tail.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

A couple of years ago I attended the Anime Central convention (Acen) just outside of Chicago and meet the manga artist Misako Rocks. Her work is not like other manga artists in that it's not fantasy-based (like most of what's in this thread). I got a personally-signed copy of her graphic novel Detective Jermain. While the story isn't stellar (it's pretty simple), the artwork is great. It follows the adventures of a detective named Jermain.

detective-jermain-206x300.jpg

Aristede
book2.gif

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've seen Black Butler! It's great! Sebastian is too cool! It's kinda on the dark side of anime. I remember another dark anime called Vampire Princess Miyu that was really dark and depressing.

Aristede
book2.gif

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

I loved this anime too!
smiley.gif
Black Butler .... Sebastian is one hell of a butler! I have Crunchy Roll and I enjoy watching anime nothing but anime ....
Sebas-chan!
grin.gif
Grell is my favourite character (maybe with the exception of Undertaker...) Unfortunately, the second season wasn't as good... The manga is pretty great, though!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Another of my favourites that I was sad when it was over
sad.gif
I liked the Death the kid Lol
The manga is still ongoing though! But I think the arcs that the anime captured were the most interesting, and it's kinda fizzling out by now =/

·
Registered
645 Posts
I highly highly highly highly HIGHLY recommend 5 centimeters per second.

There are basically three adaptations, the original being an anime film released in 2007, the second being a light novel written by the director of the movie Makoto Shinkai himself (you can read a full English translation here: http://lhyeung.net/downloads/5cm_novel.pdf) released later the same year, and the last being a manga written three years after the release of the film. You should probably read/watch all 3 in that order, but they all offer a different perspective with some very marked differences, yet remain consistently canon.

It's seriously amazing, and encourages us to appreciate the beauty that we already see in our everyday lives and the people around us <3

·
Registered
645 Posts
So, I just finished watching Steins;Gate. I must say, I'm really impressed. It has a slow start, but an excellent application of foreshadowing, and once it begins to speed up halfway, and it really feels like you slowly come full circle as you progress.

I'm quite ambivalent about the complexity of the divergence system surrounding it's time travel mechanics that combines both consistency theory and parallel worlds theory. It's very solid and cleanly deals with most loopholes, but you gotta read up on A LOT of background that the anime alone doesn't provide, and by then it's so vividly rationalised that it loses part of that mysticism that makes playing with time so uncertain and dangerous. It's the most novel interpretation of time travel I've ever seen though, I'll give it that.

*SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.*
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]I would like to talk about one part in particular though that made me think of animals. In fact, it resonated very strongly with me. It's when Mayuri dies, and no matter how hard Okabe goes back in time to try to save her, she just keeps dying over and over. Eventually, Okabe is overwhelmed by how many times he sees her die, and becomes extremely desensitised. He never lets go of his desire to save her, but starts to allow her to die in the most gruesome ways because he reasons that he can just go back in time to try again. He tells himself that her deaths are 'necessary' to allow him to discover the parameters behind their incidence, and that it doesn't matter what he puts her through as long as his intentions are good. In short, he stops empathising with her, and becomes increasingly detached and rationalistic. He allows his subjective experience of her death to mean more than the suffering she has to endure each time she dies. To him, they don't matter as long as they can be reversed and rendered 'nonexistent'. In the end, he puts her through a devastating amount of suffering, and the emotional cost it has on him is equally pronounced.

Most omnivores, unfortunately, aren't willing to perceive the pain of animals. However, if they've watched the videos and know what goes on in slaughterhouses, then they are put in a similar position. When we're forced to grasp the suffering and death of animals not on an individual level, but to billions and billions of them, and realise that we've personally inflicted this pain to hundreds and thousands of animals ourselves, the easiest way to deal with it is to become desensitised. We comfort ourselves that their lives are so short, and all their suffering ceases to exist when they die, so it won't make a difference in the long run. We can be as cruel as we want to be, so long as they die and are no longer around to remember it. We tell ourselves that it's 'necessary', or is even justified because at least we bring them into this world. This when we allow our subjective experiences of their deaths to define how we see them.

What Okabe did to Mayuri was wrong. Momentary suffering matters, even if it eventually dissolves to nothingness. Our lives are all short, be it the few precious hours Okabe relives with Mayuri whenever he goes back in time, the months that animals inhibit this planet, and the years that we do. Nobody deserves to suffer for the time they uniquely exist.[/SPOILER]

·
Registered
440 Posts
What a wonderful review, Yingchen!

I agree with you about the

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]whole scene with Mayuri and Okabe. It was, to me, a very interesting look into the careful machinations of the human psyche. Though Okabe clearly loves Mayuri, the constant, self-inflicted pain he faces every time he tries to save her, drives him to the brink of madness.

I don't think he stops feeling, but rather that he feels so much that he has lost the grip on reality that he used to have. Though he does say that he sometimes let her die, just to see how she would go out this time, I personally think he said that also because Kurisu was pushing him. But in the end, Okabe still retains the link to human compassion that he always felt. He doesn't just close his eyes to what is going on, as many omnivores do regarding the treatment of animals. Instead, he fights back against the pit of hopeless despair he has been driven into and comes out victorious.[/SPOILER]

I absolutely loved this anime for its character portrayal, plot development and attention to detail. Though I don't normally cry during animes or TV-shows, I had to pause this several times just to cope with the barrage of emotions this series gives you. The music, voice actors and animation are also top notch.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts