VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to read a few new mangas, so I wondered what your favourite ones are that you would recommend to me!

I like phsycological, drama, supernatural and mystery genres: I enjoyed reading Death Note and Liar Game (I've just started this one [shh, no spoilers!]), to name two for reference!
smiley.gif

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
My all time favorite manga is Ghost in the Shell, a psychological cyberpunk thriller where everybody has cybernetic implants and can connect their minds to the internet. Hackers use this to mess with people's minds, replacing memories, wiping memories, hacking into your senses to make you see things, or not, or completely taking over your brain and replacing it with their own. Definately recomended... both the anime and the manga.

As for supernatural, I like Blackbird, about a Tengu who tries to marry a girl because it will give his tribe lots of power. He discovers a rival in the form of the son of the Kitsune club and, of course, they both join her high school as students and have lots of crazy adventures.

I also like Her Majesty's Dog, which is about a girl who can control things with words and her pet demon.

If your into supernatural comedy and don't mind something slightly sacreligious, check out Saint Onisan, in which Buddha and Jesus live in an apartment and have crazy adventures, including riding rollercoasters (which Buddha is afraid of) and teaching Jesus to swim (he was afraid of drowing, that's why he always walked on top of it).

Reactions: Ewe Nanny

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Forgot! There is also Millenium Snow, which is from the same author as Ouran High School Host club. Only two volumes, but worth it. About a girl whose best friends are a werewolf and a vampire.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooh, Ghost in the Shell sounds awesome! I definitely want to read that!
shocked.gif

Is Millenium Snow a comedy romance? I loved Ouran High School Host Club, so I'm sure this one I would like as well!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
You can read most of them online.

Saint Onisan: http://www.mangareader.net/1406/saint-oniisan.html

Millenium Snow: http://www.anymanga.com/millennium-snow/

Ghost in the Shell: http://manga.animea.net/ghost-in-the-shell-chapter-1-page-1.html

Millenium Snow is not really a comedy, though there are comedic elements to it. It is a romance however, about a human girl falling in love with a vampire boy friend. It is more serious than Host Club, but fun nonetheless.

If you liked Host Club, you might also like Maid Sama!, which is about a high school girl at an almost all boys school who is trying to wip the boys into shape, but has a secret job as a maid at a cosplay restaraunt establishment. Needless to say she gets found out and the blackmail starts! Definately a romantic comedy.

Happy reading!
grin.gif

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You could perhaps like Gunsligger Girl as anime

young girls with guns and their relations to their mentors

But my favourites are the paper version of Berserk, dark fantasy violent stuff ( gore, monsters, epic battles, sex, definitely adult ) Excellent psychology of characters, especially Guts.

Bremen, punk rock with a tiny touch of mystery, fun, my all time favourite ( and i've seen and read hundreds ) Excellent psychology of the main character, inspiring

You can probably enjoy Monster, mystery, psychology etc a recognized masterwork

Wolf's rain, the most poetic manga i know, wolves/humans looking after a flower/girl

Perhaps 3x3 eyes ? Old school hit in its times

Leviathan ? Very funny and crazy one

For psychology you will probably not do better than MPD Psycho, dark, very dark, gore. Again adult only.

If you want a guy with multiple personalities disorder, including killer and the cop chasing the killer :)

Perhaps Serial Experiments Lain, for those who like computers and ghost in the shell among others

Ergo Proxy ? Mass Market but not a bad one.

Angel Sanctuary ? ( paper only plz ) angels are the bad guys, bit special

There is plenty of old school stuff of excellent quality if you don't mind the sometimes difficult aging, i got plenty in mind but cannot remember. One there is some school and a guy can make energy cubes wich uses to trap the monsters attracted by the school energy...

If you like short stories with little action check Mushishi, spiritual creatures and folk mythology

Or

Kurosagi dead corps delivery or something like that

I would be surprised if you didn't like at least one of those titles.

But there are thousands more. Some manga websites should show you titles similar to your favourites, and the comments can also be useful.

EDIT : added

Fullmetal Alchemist, steampunky, take care more dark than it seems

Blame ( no speaking whatsoever, badass ! )

Pluto, same guy as Monster

Witch Hunter Robin, mass markety but hey some like it

If you like chess or go you could like the incredibly slow Hikaru No Go

Remember Dragon Ball Z with fights over 20 episodes ? Same thing. But with Go.

So you have your psychological battles of this youngster helped by this spirit.

Imuyasha, an old school classic

Saiyuki, loosely based on journey to the west, again an old school classic with loads of action, has aged

Obviously anything by Osamu Tezuka and Hayao Miyazaki related or not :)

Oh the stuff with cubes is Kekkaishi

Yu Yu Hakusho also for old school stuff

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, there are a lot of good titles: I liked the look of more than just one, although I hope I have the time to read them!
tongue3.gif

I like cute stories too, by the way!
smiley.gif

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you like cute go for Jungle Waa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu

Hilarious stuff, but you need to watch 2-3 episodes before getting used to the style

And obviously Lucky Star, a favourite on 4chan

You could also like Read or Die & Read or Dream, librarian stuff with books and what is today known as papers, aka special powers involving paper, books. The girl is cute. IMHO.

Now i'm not really into cute... :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post
You could also like Read or Die & Read or Dream, librarian stuff with books and what is today known as papers, aka special powers involving paper, books. The girl is cute. IMHO.

I tried to get into this anime and couldn't get past the basic premise of superpowers based on paper. Oh well, I'm sure somebody likes it.

The only cute manga I'm familiar with is Fruitsbasket:

Its about this girl who goes to live with this family who are cursed by the vengeful spirits of the zodiac. So whenever they get hugged, or are weak from hunger, they turn into their respective animal. Obviously much hilarity, cuteness and "awwwww" ensues.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Japanese is actually easy to learn, but if you don't mind reading a translated version you can absolutely find an english version, both paper and manga, providing the place you are and the place it is hosted don't have the manga under license yet, wich happens often enough. If you are in UK or US or in France it is then harder since those places are quick enough ( France is the biggest consumer of mangas after Japan ) but it is always worth checking if the manga is under license where you are.

Again, learning japanese is not so hard. Especially if you are reading mangas and watching animes and japanese movies.

Chinese is even easier.

They don't have all this time headache, and most of the complex rules the latin languages have, the only problem is the writing, but here it is just training and memorization, and you don't have to learn every single letter.

And for anime, the dubbed versions plain sucks while the translations... Well, if you know, you know :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:
( France is the biggest consumer of mangas after Japan )

And for anime, the dubbed versions plain sucks while the translations... Well, if you know, you know :)
I wondered while all the pictures of manga you posted had French titles. I never knew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

It hasn't even been fully translated.

Never thought you would be a shoujo-person though.
The OP could watch the anime, then, which I also recommend. Someday I'll learn Japanese to read them in their original.

I like manga with good stories in them. I think Cowboy Bebop has one of the best. Most shojo, like Fruits Basket, for example, or D.N. Angel, I'm just not able to get into because of insipid, transparent plots. Cowboy Bebop is in all ways and exception, however.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
@rotoshave Scenario wise, i did appreciate Gunm, with some of the best drawnings i have seen ( at least you can clearly see the progression, but i still prefer Kentaro Miura drawnings of Berserk, but it's different styles, one fantasy, this one SF )

If you like Cowboy Bebop, i recommend the anime Samurai Champloo, samurai hip hop with a touch of capoeira, similar soul.

If you like both bebop and champloo, and therefore action, you can give a go to the anime Black Lagoon, modern pirates girls with guns under the blue blue sky stuff

But really for the plots try any Eiji Otsuka stuff ( hardcore, more or less depending on what series ) and Berserk ( hardcore ). They are generally in plastic boxes with a red 18 years old sticker on the highest shelf behind the counter :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks muchly! I hadn't heard of many of these before, but I'm enjoying reading them!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:

@rotoshave Scenario wise, i did appreciate Gunm, with some of the best drawnings i have seen ( at least you can clearly see the progression, but i still prefer Kentaro Miura drawnings of Berserk, but it's different styles, one fantasy, this one SF )

If you like Cowboy Bebop, i recommend the anime Samurai Champloo, samurai hip hop with a touch of capoeira, similar soul.

If you like both bebop and champloo, and therefore action, you can give a go to the anime Black Lagoon, modern pirates girls with guns under the blue blue sky stuff

But really for the plots try any Eiji Otsuka stuff ( hardcore, more or less depending on what series ) and Berserk ( hardcore ). They are generally in plastic boxes with a red 18 years old sticker on the highest shelf behind the counter :)
Thanks for the suggestions, veganpunk! Sorry for the wait in replying... I didn't know your post was directed at me per see.

I've heard of Beserk and have wanted to read it, but my time is swallowed by work nowadays and the times when I can read manga are few and far between.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just remembered The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya,

you could enjoy this one if you like mystery, supernatural, psychology...

Only watched the anime, the first episode is weird but after the second it all gets nice.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:

Just remembered The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya,

you could enjoy this one if you like mystery, supernatural, psychology...

Only watched the anime, the first episode is weird but after the second it all gets nice.
I love the anime! Especially the 8 episodes in season two that were all the same with slight variations, and the movie, the Dissapearence of Haruhi Suzumiya too!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts