VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Did they have one at some hotel a year or two ago?

EDIT

Man alive! Why do so many vegan websites have to be so ugly and difficult to navigate?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman_dancing View Post

EDIT

Man alive! Why do so many vegan websites have to be so ugly and difficult to navigate?
Probably because they rely on web site developers/designers who work for nothing, are not professionals in the area, and do the work on their spare time. (I was almost suckered into a similar job a couple of years ago, but fortunately came to my senses before it was too late.)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Finally! I'm very glad to see this.

Quote:

Yes, at least 2-3 years ago, at Sachas hotel on Tib street. I was wondering if another one was ever going to happen.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the website is lame. Hopefully the festival will get fleshed out some, it's pretty sketchy looking so far.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Get involved, kids! DIY or die!

If we all sit around waiting for other people to do stuff nothing will ever get done. You locals should contact the organisers and see how you can help them to promote/organise in advance and/or on the day.

The West Mids Vegan Fest has a couple of thousand people attending each year, and who knows how many volunteers? LOADS. Also, then maybe you can word together towards next year's event..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:

Yes and no. The event at the Sachas Hotel in January 2008 was the North West Vegan Festival. I helped work on that event, though I didn't have any decision-making powers and I didn't like the venue. This event should be thought of as entirely new, though many of the stallholders will be the same.

Quote:
We weren't happy with that website, either. It is being re-vamped and will be much nicer. Please bear with us and give us feedback in the meantime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Yeah, the website is lame. Hopefully the festival will get fleshed out some, it's pretty sketchy looking so far.
That's because we only recently started organising it! We've invited over 50 stallholders so far, with more to follow. We have an international women's rugby player and a musician from The Smiths involved, plus DJ's, musicians and a host of speakers. Many stallholders have responded to confirm already, so we'll definitely have a good range of vegan cakes and chocolate, animal rescues and campaign groups.

Please bear in mind that we are paying for everything out of our own pockets at this stage and will make no money from this event. We'd love a really slick website, but can't justify forking out £600-£1,00 for it. If you'd like the event to be as good as possible, please volunteer, as it is more useful to us than armchair criticism. Cheers.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't be offended. I think all of us here would be happy to see a successful festival. I'm not really near Manchester, so it's probably not my thing. If you're looking for a website designer, there are some computer geeks here that would probably be happy to lend their time (on Vegan Forum as well).

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
^ Yeah I agree, don't get offended. There is nothing worse than travelling half way across the country to go to a vegan event and being dissapointed, and I think a lot of people do travel some way for this sort of thing. It's not personal, people are just trying to get a feel of what it'll be like and if it'll be worth it.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Badger View Post

That's because we only recently started organising it! We've invited over 50 stallholders so far, with more to follow. We have an international women's rugby player and a musician from The Smiths involved, plus DJ's, musicians and a host of speakers. Many stallholders have responded to confirm already, so we'll definitely have a good range of vegan cakes and chocolate, animal rescues and campaign groups.

Please bear in mind that we are paying for everything out of our own pockets at this stage and will make no money from this event. We'd love a really slick website, but can't justify forking out £600-£1,00 for it. If you'd like the event to be as good as possible, please volunteer, as it is more useful to us than armchair criticism. Cheers.
That sounds promising, Badger. I wouldn't worry too much about the website, as long as people can easily find the information they need, then that's sufficient. Anyway, the design looks pretty spiffy now, well done. Like Jen I'm not in the area, so I'm afraid armchair criticism is all I have to offer!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Badger View Post

We weren't happy with that website, either. It is being re-vamped and will be much nicer. Please bear with us and give us feedback in the meantime.
It's looking MUCH better than it was

It's highly unlikely I'll be going to the event though as it's a billion miles away and it's around the same time as the WMids vegan fest. It's not completely out of the question though, there's a slight chance that some people I know might have a stall or just be going for the hell of it.

Either way, well done for getting stuck in and I hope it goes well!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting there!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Only saw the website today so can't compare it with how it was before but it is looking very impressive to me. I just wish I lived near enough to be able to go. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Don't be offended. I think all of us here would be happy to see a successful festival. I'm not really near Manchester, so it's probably not my thing. If you're looking for a website designer, there are some computer geeks here that would probably be happy to lend their time (on Vegan Forum as well).
Hi Jen, I'm the main organiser of the festival and saw your comments on a search. New website is up and running as has been for a while now, don't know if you have checked back at all? Organising an event of this kind takes a lot of time and effort, and money with the lack of a sponsor so far. Luckily I have Boris Badger on board but as yet the whole thing is being driven by two people only, with some help from a third. Boris wasn't offended, just stating facts and making the point! As you then say you are not near Manchester, so it's probably not your thing anyway. The more people support this event the better it will be, and we intend to make it annual. Any volunteers feel free to come say hi via the site.

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Apparently, this festival has now been postponed for an unspecified date in spring. From what I've heard, the response from stallholders was so overwhelming, that the chosen venue could not fit them all in, so they decided to wait until they could find an alternative space and organise a bigger event, so it's all for the best.

Looking forward to the spring, then!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

^ Oh that is good news, you mean spring 2012 I guess?
That's what's implied on their website and in the emails I received. I'm also quite excited with the prospect of a bigger festival!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

That's what's implied on their website and in the emails I received. I'm also quite excited with the prospect of a bigger festival!
Hi, yes there is a statement out on the website. We also have a few sponsors on board now as well, hence the decision to move the event. Due to what happened with a recent festival in that area we were being asked to downsize it. This did not sit well as we were looking to link in to other local venues and upsize it to accommodate everyone! It would have been completely unfair to have to pick and choose between stallholders we had already said yes to, and unfair to NW Vegans and Veggies to dilute the event to the size of a village fete.

The event will now be vastly different to the one we originally envisaged, the aim to make it the only Vegan/Veggie event to go to up North!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts