VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man kills over 50 cows and sets fire to home

June 17, 2003, 6:41 PM EDT

HOMER, N.Y. -- A 54-year-old man was charged with animal cruelty and arson after allegedly killing more than 50 head of cattle and setting fire to a house.

Chester Gigliuto of Homer was charged with 52 counts of overworking, torturing or injuring animals, a misdemeanor under state Agriculture and Markets Law, for killing the animals, police said.

Gigliuto was arraigned Sunday night in Cortlandville Town Court and was being held in the county jail with no bail set. More charges are expected, authorities said.

According to Sgt. Mark Helms of the Cortland County Sheriff's Department, Gigliuto killed the cattle on Sunday in a barn before the fire. Gigliuto was in his pickup truck a short distance from the fire scene near the edge of the property when fire and police officials arrived and was very cooperative, Helms told the Cortland Standard.

Police said they found all but one of the cows inside the barn, shot to death at close range with a .22-caliber rifle.

Helms said Gigliuto told police that he was having financial difficulties.

Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press

·
Registered
0 Posts
a whacko man kills his cows and gets into big trouble with the law, yet they are butchered all the time by big companies and that's ok.....hmm.....

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Helms said Gigliuto told police that he was having financial difficulties.

Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press
A lot of farmers cannot keep struggling in the way they are forced to do by the big players in the agricultural world (supermarkets)

Some commit suicide and this one set the place on fire.

I find it strange that he will be charged with torturing or injuring animals, because it doesn't seem different from slaughter to me.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by 1vegan

A lot of farmers cannot keep struggling in the way they are forced to do by the big players in the agricultural world (supermarkets)

Some commit suicide and this one set the place on fire.

I find it strange that he will be charged with torturing or injuring animals, because it doesn't seem different from slaughter to me.
Yeah. This is what I meant by 'over the edge.'

I think they're giving him a hard time because he wasted all that meat.

Actually, I think that's why the article will have some significance for AR. I don't know if we'll see any precedents here, but situations like this help more clearly frame the debate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts