VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
A man who tried to beat his dog to death with a shotgun has shot himself dead instead.

Police say the Winchester, Virginia, man called his wife at work and told her their dog had bitten him and he intended to kill it.

Investigators say the shotgun must have gone off while the man was using it to beat the dog.

The stock of the weapon was broken and there appeared to be blood and dog hair on it.

The man died later at Winchester Medical Centre.

An animal control officer has taken custody of the dog, but it's not known how badly injured it is.
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_743452.html?menu=

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tsila

I don't think that there's anything I can possibly say about that man that would leave me walking away and feeling good about myself.

Poor dog.
Poor dog? I dunno if I'd say that. If a dog, or any animal, attacked and bit me unprovoked, I'd probably kill it as well. (note the word unprovoked before flaming me.)

I have a sneaky feeling though that this dog may have indeed been provoked. Either that or the guy just didn't like, or just didn't want the dog. Since he took the time to call his wife, one can assume the dog was not attacked by the man in the heat of moment after the dog bit him. Sounds to me like this asswipe planned to kill the dog and waited for his wife to go to work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Poor dog? I dunno if I'd say that. If a dog, or any animal, attacked and bit me unprovoked, I'd probably kill it as well. (note the word unprovoked before flaming me.)
When it comes to domesticated dogs, I really have trouble getting my head around the idea that one would just attack someone unprovoked (especially one that knew the guy).

Dogs that do attack innocent people are provoked, albeit not by the victim, but by breeding techniques used to create fighting dogs, abuse and "training," etc, which turn the dog into an angry, dangerous animal.

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you - just that I believe that pretty much all attacks on humans by dogs is provoked in some manner. Dogs just aren't going to attack humans unless they've been taught to fear or hate them by SOMEONE.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Mera'din,

Actually, I recall a few years ago sitting in one my neighbours backyards. The next next to his house had rented the house to some college kids. They had a Dalmation dog in their backyard.

Anyway, that one day, my neighbour's little girl was playing in the sandbox in his own yard and just digging and such in the box. The dalmation got out and crawled under the back corner of his yard. I watched as the dog approached the little girl, she was around 3 years old at the time), and I dunno who spooked who, but the dog bit her on the face and it was quite a mess. Her lip was ripped to the point where it hung and you could see her gum.

Suffice it to say, that dog is dead. But the Animal Department of the city did it, not my neighbour. But I can tell you, I watched this and it was completely unprovoked. Sometimes it just happens.

I do agree 100% though that most attacks by domesticated animals are caused by being provoked in some form, unless trained as attack dogs.

Kreeli: right, another reason why I think he just deliberately planned to kill the dog. I think he just hated the dog and wanted to make it suffer. He obviously had a shotgun and shells, so he could have just shot it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I could see this happening with a child. My notion that domesticated dogs will simply not attack humans (except for the reasons already stated) is because they've evolved to work together with us, attacking us is counter-intuitive.

A child, however, may not be seen by the dog as a human.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mera'din

A child, however, may not be seen by the dog as a human.
I saw this thing on TV once that theorized that the reason many kids are bitten each year by family pets is because they are eye level with the dog and the dog might interpret them as being intruding on their turf.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had to kill a dog once. It was tough because I've had dogs all my life and hold them in very high regard, but I was living in a rural area without dog catchers or even cops, really, and this stray German Shepherd mutt started hanging around the house, causing trouble, destroying the trash when we weren't home, threatening and even attacking one of our dogs requiring a moderate vet bill, and it snarled and fanged at me when I confronted it late one night tearing up the trash. I didn't hesitate when it showed aggression toward me. I won't have a dog around that is a threat to my dogs or my family . . .

Anyone that thinks that a dog won't attack a human unprovoked as got some more "learning" ahead of them, I think. If a dog feels threatened, or is a true alpha and thinks that it must claim territory or assert dominance, you can get attacked by many dogs even though you consciously committed no aggressive act toward them.

All that aside, beating your own dog to death? Clearly you can't have a dog show aggression toward it's owner; the human has to dominate in the "relationship" in order to have a safe and satisfactory cohabitation, but for gosh sakes, if you can't control your own dog enough to get it into a car and take it to a more suitable environment, even if you have to wait for it to calm down, then you shouldn't have dogs to begin with. This sounds like some Bubba on a chest beating testosterone trip to me. What a shame . . . .

·
Registered
0 Posts
Speaking of Dalmations....they're actually not a good dog to have if you have kids. That's why it really sucks that after 101 Dalmations came out, a bunch of parents thought it would be cute to get a Dalmation for their kids...meanwhile they are just normally not good with kids. Some dogs are...some aren't. It's also true about not being on the same level physically...but...my dogs get along great with the cats, and would never dream of hurting them. They learned to respect them and see them as equals. Actually, there is one cat that is higher in the pecking order than the dogs...and they fear the cat. LOL

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i hope the dog's alright. serves the guy right.

i don't think a dog biting someone is a good reason to kill it. dogs bite, it's common knowledge. sometimes, playfully, sometimes not. i think it's all in how they're raised though. if you raise a dog lovingly and with respect there would be no reason for that animal to turn on you unless it thought it was in danger. i'm willing to bet he was already beating on the dog when he got bit. the dog likely was trying to defend itself.

my bf had a dog when he was a kid that had to be put down though, because it was mentally unstable and would just bite anybody for no reason, all the time. they were sad to have him put down for it, but everyone was afraid of him because he'd be friendly one minute and then vicious the next. he once attacked a neighbour kid and my bf says if he wasn't there to pull the dog off him, the kid would have been killed.

in cases like that, i still don't really think it's right to kill the animal, but they did it humanely. the ideal solution would be to have someone care for animals like that, in a safe environment, to keep them from harming someone but to keep them from being harmed as well.

would be hard to find someone willing to do that though

1 - 20 of 32 Posts