VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, anyone want to address this or who have knowledge/ experience of this particular download?? I don't suppose every person goes into this much detail everytime for each update, but for this one that grabs my attention I figure its warranted to discuss in some detail, and maybe some of you think all updates ought be treated with caution provided by microsoft, I don't know!!!!!!!???? THIS WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW FROM YOU ALL

But for all intent purposes, lets take a look at one example update. Its not a package update as far as I'm aware, its a standalone update/ singular.

Malware MS Update!...(& optional versions of it)....& Window Updates in General too!

I want to know who can make known to me what they do about which method they choose for MSupdates, CUSTOM or EXPRESS method and I suppose MANUALLY doing things is the same as CUSTOM download??....

Anyway important though I feel that is, I'm asking particularly in regards to a security aspect as shown by my one example below which is the latest and the most eye catching to me to want to install, because its a MALWARE removal Tool microsoft is pushing, and I did wonder will there be any possible conflicts with independant AntiVirus programs we all already have on our PCs already, and the answer I presume is no, as one of the articles at the link (same link as below) says no, its not a replacment for personal AVs. So thats one thing cleared up. [FYI]

Now, here's where my slightly more pressing questions kick in:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (I ask stuff that I do here, as I would really like to get more familiar with downloading updates better than I do, and so I've picked out the update I focuse on here as a good general example, but also as it stands out as being useful, hehe!!

AND CRITICAL I WOULD GUESS)

The product (a regular update it could be) for download is I guess part of integral updates, whatver the version you download in this case, I'd guess is probably something thats fairly critical to install, and is I suppose a new or newly updated download available, as evident not least by the fact it features in amongst the headlines on the MS update/support site below...

.....And on this homepage in the quote is that site where ppl go outside of US & Canada -- for security issues and download updates

http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome

And me being way behind on updates, I guess I'm just lucky that I note this particular download, and so I decided to make a case in point of whether ones like this are considered on of the more critical window updates overall ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome View Post

Identify and remove viruses from your computer

Learn how to check your computer for infections from prevalent malicious software and remove any infections that are found.

• Use the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool to check your computer and remove prevalent malicious software

• More about virus protection...
IMPORTANT I THINK: (that is if this anti-Malware MS is worth its while in the first place???

Lets assume it is, and take note....

Before arriving at the home page I mention above I first noted a readup article }}}

http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx (the page I was directed to by window update notifier)....which in it, NOTED TO ME THIS>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by security/malwareremove/default.mspx View Post

Note The version of the tool delivered by Microsoft Update and Windows Update runs in the background and then reports if an infection is found. If you would like to run this tool more than once a month, use the version on this Web page or install the version that is available in the Download Center.
plus, also offered here in the text, it links to this OTHER ms download help page

>> HERE << where is a download version one could have, that functions more than once a month unlike the one at the link above ending with slash-[default.mspx].

For ANYONE needing the same update as me (which I guess is reasonably likely).... Go to that site above which is again repeated at the bottom of MY POST... (and its good to be armed with extra information no matter which version you choose. Otherwise go back here http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx (the page I was directed to by window update notifier)....which REMEMBER in it, NOTED TO ME THIS>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by security/malwareremove/default.mspx View Post

Note The version of the tool delivered by Microsoft Update and Windows Update runs in the background and then reports if an infection is found. If you would like to run this tool more than once a month, use the version on this Web page or install the version that is available in the Download Center.
Anyhow, I'm quite sure the links corresponding downloads I get right for you here, once decided which version preferable to you....

but for me to download this other MS malware version of the same download I don't know at what rate I should download at, as I don't fully understand the menu (dial up, I know-- but only other options are cable) for choosing which speed to use, as one speed shows this T1 (1.5M) << I guess T1 must be for superfast connections? but which menu chooser would best work for regular broadband ?

Anyway, just to repeat myself, go here >> HERE << for more info on the Malware update to download: (offering the other MS malware version of the same download which I presume is best, you wanna go get: here's the link again (you see this also above in this post, I have now linked twice now in this one post)

SAME BUT FULL UNABBREVIATED HYPERLINK IS THIS>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears highly complicated, but if anyone wants to clarify anything, just ask
I need help with my updates as much as anyone trying to suss out microsoft, of us that don't necessarily choose to automically have our updates. (I DON'T BLAME THOSE THAT ARE CAUTIOUS LIKE ME)... BUT ALSO I DON'T BLAME THOSE THAT WANT IT OVER WITH AND DOWNLOAD WHATEVER MS THROWS AT THEM IF TIME IS LACKING FOR SOME PEOPLE)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts