VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and hope that each of you who read this have a good day

I typically am not one to start new thread, but in this instance I am at a loss on how to make an informed decision. I'll begin by saying that today I was making some seitan. To anyone here who makes seitan, you know that by it's nature it tends to be springy. So the thought occured to me that if I had one that I might use a tenderizer mallet to flatten it down with a lot less fuss and making cook it more evenly with less time a possibility. It also occured to me that once flattened I would have an easier time shaping the seitan into say shrimp forms or nugget forms or some such as the need required.

Now here comes my issue. Last week I was visiting Goodwill and happened to notice some tenderizer mallets being sold there with one nice large one that would serve very well. Given what would have obviously been the history of these mallets, and the fact that one I might buy would likely never see use on a piece of meat ever again. I am given to wonder what the opinions of those here would be in buying one from Goodwill. Would the "moral stain" of it's previous use mitigate any good being done for charity, or should I just go out and buy a new one? As far as I know they were thoroughly cleaned and even if they weren't I would do so myself anyway. What do you think?

Any thoughts?
(Mods if this is in the wrong category please feel free to move it. I figured food discussion was the best category this would belong to, but if you deem this worthy of some other, please do so. Thank you.)

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I buy all sorts of kitchen tools at thrift stores and don't really care about its use by the previous owner, unless I think there might be sanitary issues.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I buy all sorts of kitchen tools at thrift stores and don't really care about its use by the previous owner, unless I think there might be sanitary issues.
Same here. I just bought some used pots and pans from the thrift store a couple weeks ago. A lot of my cooking utensils and kitchen appliances are secondhand. I'm sure at some point meat came in contact with them. I see it similar to eating at a restaurant. The utensils and plates you eat off of there are have also touched meat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You make a good point, Fadeaway. I suppose it isn't a big deal. I guess I just keyed up on the exclusivity of a tenderizer mallet's use --in spite of my thought about alternate uses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts