VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has made the green pandan cake which is popular in malaysia. I would love to be able to make it for myself, but i would also want to veganise it for my bf.

Where are the places in the uk to get egg replacers from?

oh, and if anyone has made it, how did it turn out??

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Never heard of it, so I poked around a bit. Found this recipe which is vegan already: http://theduckquacking.blogspot.com/search?q=sago

Which is actually for a cake
(EDIT Which might be what you're looking for. I got hung up on the word 'pudding')

Can you post the recipe you're looking to veganize? I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like. You Brits use the word 'pudding' wrong

Mei Wei makes an 'instant' pandam pudding mix that looks like it may be vegan, but I can't tell for sure.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I didn't know what this is either. Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandan_cake. It looks a bit like pound cake in the recipes I've seen...lots of eggs, so I'm not sure the powdered egg replacer would do it by itself. You can get some at Holland and Barrett though, and most HFS's that I've visited.

@ Dave: pudding = dessert, more or less, in the UK. It still throws IS and I off because we try to figure out what (North American) pudding is called.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I saw a number of things that varied from something that looked like Jello to a cake, thus my uncertainty.

Most British 'puddings' I know of (mostly from cookbooks) are moist, dense cake. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The restaurant chain Loving Hut has pandan cake, and they are vegan. It is delicious. I'm trying to look for the ingredients they use, but I'm not having any luck. I'll keep trying though.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

It still throws IS and I off because we try to figure out what (North American) pudding is called.
North American pudding is called pudding

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Never heard of it, so I poked around a bit. Found this recipe which is vegan already: http://theduckquacking.blogspot.com/search?q=sago

Which is actually for a cake
(EDIT Which might be what you're looking for. I got hung up on the word 'pudding')

Can you post the recipe you're looking to veganize? I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like. You Brits use the word 'pudding' wrong

Mei Wei makes an 'instant' pandam pudding mix that looks like it may be vegan, but I can't tell for sure.
Thanks, yep that is the cake/pudding i was hoping to make, and since that recipie has been veganised already i might as well use that. Thank you!! I spend ages looking for recipies for this, and didn't come across any vegan ones!

Yes we brits tend to use the term pudding for any kind of dessert or sweet thing after a meal. We do make proper puddings too, such as bread and butter pudding, but generally we use the term very widely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.