VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am from Malaysia. I came across a post just now under the Singapore thread. Someone wanted to know about where to find good vegetarian food in Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur is the capital of Malaysia. Here is a very small list of vegetarian restaurants :-

1) Annalakshmi was shortlisted in the Best Healthy Eating / Vegetarian category of the Time Out KL Food Awards 2010.

Annalakshmi
Address: 114 Jalan Berhala, Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur.

Tel: +603 2272 3799

Best part of eating here : Price : Pay-as-you-wish/feel...Reason : It is set up by a non-profit organization, which channels some profits for serving the community like giving free medical care and support to the poor...

In other words, you enjoy yummy, healthy food and at the same time, you give back to the community...BTW, the food is made by housewives or working women/men with the idea of Serve, Love and Give...it is just like eating home-cooked yummy vegetarian food..

2) Saravanaa Bhavan

52, Jalan Maarof, Bangsar, 59100, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Ph: 603 2287 1228, Fax: 603 2287 1229

This vegetarian restaurant(branched out from the main one in India) has various yummy Chinese and Indian dishes for your pick...but there is no pay-as-you-wish/feel..

The Chinese dishes are made in 'Indian style'.

PS- There is a branch in the US as well...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm from Johor Bahru, the southernmost city of Malaysia. Singapore is very near from my home. I can just take a bus in less than 45 min to get to the nearest train station in Singapore or drive in just 10 min.

Vegetarianism is not difficult in JB and Singapore. Almost every residential areas have veggie restaurants. Most coffee shops and hawker centres have veggie stalls too. And most (not all) Chinese veggie restaurants and stalls are vegan-friendly as they don't usually use milk, honey and cheese in their dishes. And you can easily tell them "no eggs" as some Buddhist sects do not eat eggs. Some veggie restaurant/stall do not use eggs at all in their ingredient.

Currently, the best source to find all the veggie restaurants in JB is Happy Cow. Not all the restaurants and stalls are in that website. And some are not updated (no longer exist)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by leong_cf View Post

I'm from Johor Bahru, the southernmost city of Malaysia. Singapore is very near from my home. I can just take a bus in less than 45 min to get to the nearest train station in Singapore or drive in just 10 min.

Vegetarianism is not difficult in JB and Singapore. Almost every residential areas have veggie restaurants. Most coffee shops and hawker centres have veggie stalls too. And most (not all) Chinese veggie restaurants and stalls are vegan-friendly as they don't usually use milk, honey and cheese in their dishes. And you can easily tell them "no eggs" as some Buddhist sects do not eat eggs. Some veggie restaurant/stall do not use eggs at all in their ingredient.

Currently, the best source to find all the veggie restaurants in JB is Happy Cow. Not all the restaurants and stalls are in that website. And some are not updated (no longer exist)
Hi, I have been to JB a few times. I am not sure if there is any Annalakshimi Restaurant in JB. But, when I checked Happy Cow, this address was listed : -

39, Jalan Ibrahim
Johor Bahru Malaysia 8000
07-2277400

It is listed as a vegan restaurant. Maybe, you should check it out...)
:

I have eaten a few times at the one in KL and the food is yummy, there is a buffet style with some dishes in Chinese styles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I didn't know about this restaurant in JB but I've visited Annalakshmi in Perth, Australia last month.

Loving Hut, the authentic vegan cuisine, has been relocated from Sentosa in the city to Bukit Mewah in my area. There're more vegetarians and vegans here. It's opening soon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you like the food at Annalakshmi, Perth?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by leong_cf View Post

So so. Not many choices though. But it has a good 'sea view' of the Swan River. Nice
Well, I do not know about the food in Annalakshmi, Perth. But, the branch in KL has a large variety of choices. Based on the feedback from some people who went there, the food is "really nice". The restaurant is in the same building as the dance auditorium, Lavanya(Indian Art Shop), etc. If you come over to KL, just go to TFA, KL. The new TFA-KL building is a wonder of art(if you ignore the building's colors...): )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts