VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did y'all do it? Cutting meat out my diet was easy as pie, and I used to eat burgers every other day when I was a kid. (My dad owned a diner.) One day when I was 15 I just stopped eating meat and never turned back.

And the funny thing is, my dad is vegan. And I try all the time to follow in his foot steps, but I always slip up. My mom loves eatting out (so do I) and my sister is pregnant so she's always eating something bad and talking me into it...

The thing is, I have no self control. I don't want to eat meat, so it's easy not to. But I feel like I'm being such a big hypocrite every time I eat cheese, so I have to stop. I know I'll feel better about myself and have so much more energy. My dad is 72 and acts like he's 50!

So how did y'all cut out all animal and animal by-products out of your diet?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Maybe you could carry a picture of a dairy cow and batter caged hen on you?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

That would actually... really work. I can't even think about that without getting upset...

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I take parts that'll gross me out of each product to try to abstain from animal products. I think of honey as bee vomit, cow's milk as breast milk (I think I've heard milk even has pus and gross things like that in it so that could work, too), cheese, while addicting to many, kind of is gross and slimy and smelly if you think of the bad aspects of a whole block of cheese, etc. Eggs on their own have always felt gross to me, they're slimy and just don't seem great to eat, but you have to kind of figure out what works best for you to help avoid temptations like that.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It's just mind over matter. Just remind yourself every time you see cheese why you don't want to eat it -- the spent dairy cows that get slaughtered, the contribution to the beef industry, cruelty, etc. I never made myself dislike cheese -- I would still eat it in a heartbeat if there were a magical way to make it cruelty- and death-free. If you're going for the health aspects, just remind yourself of the cholesterol and saturated fat. Think about delicious vegan food you could eat instead. Don't get yourself in a situation where there's only non-vegan food around, especially when you're just starting out.

I was a big-time cheese lover, so I didn't eliminate cheese until I had found a reasonable substitute -- there are lots of recipes out there, and some good store-bought varieties. I like Daiya pepperjack on nachos, Follow your heart mozzarella on lasagna, and homemade cheesy sauces for mac and cheese. Sometimes things with a similar texture will do the trick - for example, creamy hummus or guacamole. In place of eggs, I love tofu scrambles. There are recipes for tofu omelets and quiches out there too, and even eggs over easy if you want to get fancy. Eggs are easy to replace in baked goods -- you can either use recipes that are vegan to begin with and don't require replacement, or veganize your favorite recipes with ener-g egg replacer, flax, tofu, etc (depending on what the eggs are doing in the recipe and what you have available).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are great ideas! God, I haven't touched milk in like, 6 years. Milk will never be the problem. It's just that darn cheese!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i still have issues with it myself. the whole thing about it being gross doesn't work for me. i don't care if it is gross as long as it tastes good, lol. but i think i am managing to guilt myself about it well, if i slip i think about where this is coming from and how much suffering it causes. i am pretty sure soon i will be at the place where the good taste just won't be worth it. i had the same issue when stoping to eat fish, i just loved the taste so much, but then when i sliped right after i was feeling bad because i imagined how that fish has suffered, soon i noticed that when i looked at fish this was a mental picture i got, and now i don't even think that i kmiss out on anything because it seems kind of gross. i guess the same thing happens with eggs and cheese, need to just give yourself time to lose the "love" for it, just like in any addiction and then it gets better

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I used the gross out method. Eggs look like snot and smell like farts. Milk/cheese is full of pus and blood. It helped that I was never a fan of eggs and there are tons of alternatives that are 100 times tastier than regular milk. I loved cheese but I find vegan cheese to be just as good.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I Love cheese and don't intend to stop loving it. I just replaced it with vegan cheese. There is a lot of choice, my absolute favourite is vegusto but everyone has its own taste, there should be a thread listing them somewhere i think.
There is a lot of different kinds of cheeses, some are nice to have on my pizzas and on my burgers. For the milk, i never like it but there is almond milk, soya milk, rice milk, oat milk...
Never liked eggs neither, so i dunno what to use to replace them. I guess some exotic fruits or some tofu recipe can replace them up to a certain point.

Also, i do have self control lol ^^. If you don't have it, you can always learn ;-)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

this is probably a really good idea.

i live out in the middle of no where and there happens to be a big cattle ranch pretty close to me. every time i have a cheese craving i just drive by there and watch the little baby cows running and playing and think about how at dairy farms they're taken away from they're moms and locked into little crates. i think about how incredibly wrong that is, and how i never want to contribute to it ever ever again. grossing my self out never worked for me because it's easy to forget when things taste good. morals however, are not so easily shaken.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
ehhh I just think about the animals
i liked cheese and eggs and if i ate it now i would probably still enjoy the taste.
but crueltyfree>taste

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I just think about what all that saturated fat does to my arteries. I loved cheese when I was omni, still do actually, but it would kill me eventually.

·
Registered
668 Posts
This is a wonderful thread. I, too, want to be a vegan. I am slowly transitioning, but cheese and eggs are hard. But after reading some of these great posts, I have a lot of food-for-thought. I especially love : cruelty free>taste. Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas and inspirations coming. It has helped me a LOT.

Laura

·
Registered
245 Posts
I used to LOVE cheese. I am Swiss after all

Then I saw a dairy cow documentary which shocked me and became vegan. The shock of the documentary was fresh in my mind long enough for me to sort of 'detox' from the dairy. Now, almost a year later, I swear I get nauseas from the smells of the soft cheeses I used to love. So I didn't really have to 'learn' how to dislike it. It came by itself because I wasn't suppose to eat it in the first place

Good luck tho!

Oh and obviously it would help finding alternatives to the food you love. I love Mac N Cheese and I recently found a perfect vegan recipe for it! I love tofu scramble instead of scrambled veggies etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1) If you think the picture idea would work, do it.

2) Ask yourself "Is it right to support such pain, cruelty, and eventual death of so many animals just so I can eat something that I think tastes good?" "Is my palatal pleasure worth more than the life and/or well-being of a living, breathing, sentient being?" Personally, I couldn't ever ethically justify it when I used to eat it and it got to the point where I stopped.

3) Your sister (and perhaps your mother as well?) seem/s like a negative influence. If she won't stop now, she will after you take a strong stance against it and refuse several times. My mother used to try and pull the same stuff, but after I refused some things I used to love, she knew I was serious and stopped.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Think of the cows and the hens.

Or think of a severe burn. That can pretty much end any craving for gooey cheese pizza, which is the only cheesy food I ever crave.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
crueltyfree>taste
This is what I focus on too.I don't "dislike" eggs and dairy products, and I don't feel like I need to dislike them. I guess I don't really see them as options.

I don't ever think "oh I could eat that" or "oh I wish I could eat that" I just think "what's here that I can eat" and then think about eating those things. I don't ever consider non-vegan things as options, and so I don't think about how they might taste untill I know they're vegan. I don't know if that makes sense!

I think by trying to convince yourself to dislike them, you're just playing to the psychology that they're a choice for you. Instead I'd focus on why you don't want to eat them, and think about that. But that's just me, not everybody is the same.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Gentleman View Post

1)

3) Your sister (and perhaps your mother as well?) seem/s like a negative influence. If she won't stop now, she will after you take a strong stance against it and refuse several times. My mother used to try and pull the same stuff, but after I refused some things I used to love, she knew I was serious and stopped.
No no they're very supportive of my diet, it's just that eating out is the hardest and I always eat out with them and I'm used to ordering mac n cheese or something like that, but today I sat down and thought about all the things I can still eat at my fave places in town, so that was good.

My best friend and I had mexican tonight. She's a vegetarian as well but I was nervous about telling her I had decided to become vegan because I didn't want her to think that I thought I was somehow morally better than her, but I think she still felt that way. It was awkward, sitting across from her while she ate cheese dip. And she told me, rather defensively, that a vegan diet couldn't be that much healthier. I didn't even grace that with a response... And then she told me it would be impossible to maintain a vegan diet at school (we attend the same college) which is just a load of BULL because there's always a fresh salad bar option and I was planning on making things to bring with me, plus I can always make myself things in my dorm, like pasta and soup and a million other yummy things.

Dealing with her is going to be awkward, and it was a little disheartening to see that the one person who should be in my corner (she hates animal cruelty with a passion) isn't. I'd just as soon not tell anyone about the change in my diet and just eat dairy and egg free without broadcasting it to the world. It seems like that would be much easier... :/

·
Registered
117 Posts
For me, having cravings for cheese and eggs isn't a big deal anymore. When I first went vegan, I stayed away from vegan cheeses and egg substitutes. But now that I've tried them and know how delicious they are, not to mention how close they resemble the "Real" stuff, just knowing they exist is enough to keep me away from dairy. So, I think you should just keep that in mind. That if you REALLY crave eggs or dairy, you CAN satisfy those cravings without hurting animals!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts