VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made my own and there is absolutely no comparison between them and what I buy at the grocery.

I finally ordered a tortilla press. I want to make 8" corn tortillas--I definitely prefer corn.

I am wondering if there is a reason why there are no large corn tortillas in the store--are they too dry to not break apart?

Any tricks I need to know?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've made them before with a friend who grew up making them with his mother and they are truly amazing! He uses a mixture of corn meal and wheat flour (more cornmeal, though) and just adds water until they get to the right consistency. The tortilla press he has is smaller than eight inches but I think the dough would definitely work as a larger tortilla. The mixture of corn and wheat gives the tortillas the great corn taste, but with out the dryness of pure corn.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
As I understand it, it's the gluten in wheat flour that gives flour tortillas their elasticity. Corn is gluten free, so it's missing the thing that allows corn tortillas to bend as much, which probably limits their usefulness.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

I am wondering if there is a reason why there are no large corn tortillas in the store--are they too dry to not break apart?

Any tricks I need to know?
Mission makes x-large corn tortillas and i see them for sale in the local mexican markets where they make their own tortillas (like Cardenas). the trick for corn tortillas is to use them when they are fresh, a day or 2 after they are made they become brittle and harder to work with. when i make taquitos i have to use tortillas made fresh that day.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

As I understand it, it's the gluten in wheat flour that gives flour tortillas their elasticity. Corn is gluten free, so it's missing the thing that allows corn tortillas to bend as much, which probably limits their usefulness.
Well I tried it and it was a total disaster. Even if I leaned *really really hard* on the press, the tortillas were not thin and delicate, which is what I was hoping for. I'm returning the press because I find it useless.

I think the above is the explanation--perhaps there is no such thing as a delicate, large, thin corn tortilla. I suppose I could mix corn flour with wheat flour but that won't achieve my objective (which is, corn flavor, high fiber, whole grain).

I don't think whole wheat flour would do it. Out of desperation I tried making crepes with corn flour and whole wheat pastry flour. Nice flavor and texture, but it's just way too heavy for everyday consumption. I feel like there's a lump in my stomach. lol

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
A corn tortilla needs to be made with masa harina anyway.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I'm sorry your experiment failed
I've got a 6 inch press and haven't had any trouble making corn or flour tortillas. But as others have mentioned for corn tortillas, I did use masa and ate them right away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts