VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's what I did, I drove out because we were supposed to go to Hoosick falls and check some store that isn't open very often.

I get there, change of plans and they want to meet with someone and have tea. My metabolism is very shrewlike lately so I decide to stay and eat.

Their company arrives for this tea event and they get to talking about how people have lost the desire to create and make things(Y eah I was already thinking about this from the board, but I didn't want to hijack the knitting thread even more then I did so I dropped it). So they go on about how sad that people are not making things anymore. Me?, I'm sitting there working on my portfolio, company?, sitting on thier asses drinking tea.

So finally I blurt out why they are not making something right now since it's such a tragedy sp? that people have lost these skills. Just an interesting observation I guess.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Um, I lost those skills, but then I found them again (they were next to my keys). But yeah, I made a cathouse for my sister's cats:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1678/cathousecr9.jpg

She was going to buy a crappy particle board one from a pet store. So mine weighs a billion times more than a cardboard one and is trillion times stronger, which is good because her cats caught the obesity from somewhere. Plus, while building this cathouse I stepped on a nail, which helped me get the full value out of the tetanus shot I had gotten months earlier.

My sister crotchets (pronounced crotch-its) and I know of a couple of others who do as well.

~Wondre

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I make all my own clothes (except tights, socks and shoes) and all my beauty stuff (except shampoo) ---I like to think of myself as crafty and thrifty.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I made a thing once. It was blue (pronounced "blue"). You should have seen it; it was quite the thing.

I'd make another thing but right now I am focusing on making sure my company is Y2K07 compliant.

I think I will make a New Year's Resolution to make more things in the new year.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I made a thing once. It was blue (pronounced "blue"). You should have seen it; it was quite the thing.
Do you have a picture?

Quote:
I think I will make a New Year's Resolution to make more things in the new year.
Eat more fiber, you'll make lots o things.

I like to grow plants!

~Wondre

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
"Blue (Da Ba De)"

Yo listen up here's a story

About a little guy that lives in a blue world

And all day and all night and everything he sees

Is just blue like him inside and outside

Blue his house with a blue little window

And a blue corvette

And everything is blue for him and hisself

And everybody around

Cos he ain't got nobody to listen to

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die...

I have a blue house with a blue window.

Blue is the colour of all that I wear.

Blue are the streets and all the trees are too.

I have a girlfriend and she is so blue.

Blue are the people here that walk around,

Blue like my corvette, it's standing outside.

Blue are the words I say and what I think.

Blue are the feelings that live inside me.

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I wish other people didn't make things so often. How am I ever going to get published with every second person out there burying editors with their submissions?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think everyone should be obiliged to make stuff ( maybe that was part of my point). Some people engage in DIY, some people make stuff to sell and some people pay others to make stuff. If everyone made stuff just for the sake of making stuff, we'd be up in our ears in poorly made stuff ( or are we already?).

Of course if you make things, then you won't be sitting idle on your ass whining about not making things.

Yeah making things as a hobby costs money which is why it's far more limited then making things for sale. Except of course that once you have the supplies, you can make whatever you want without worrying if it will sell or not.

Then again sometimes even if you are making things to sell, buying the supplies before sales can be hard. This is why I quit making candles, I need a hunk of money just to buy the supplies ($70).

Furthermore people who truly believe in perseving skills VS buying from Chinese facteries, should forgo this silly everyone should make stuff mantra and should be sure and support the local people engaging in these skills.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Eclipse, in your opinion, which should I focus on more: Stuff? Or things?

I just worry that if I focus too much on making stuff that it would be at the expense of my thing making.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts