VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All--

I miss yogurt-- a lot. I'm not vegan nor pretend to be but I can easily avoid things like dairy easily enough and if there is an alternative that is as healthy if not more so, then I'd like to give that a try. So since I own a Vitamix machine and it makes easy work of almond milk, I'd like to try making my own yogurt. I've made my own cows milk yogurt in the past and it was super easy but I know that Almond Milk yogurt needs special starter to properly make the stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations of where I can get starter and if you have your own recipe you'd be willing to share??? Thank you!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi there,
I ordered a yogurt machine from Amazon. It was only $30.00. I was also able to get the starter from there, too. i haven't used it yet, because shortly after I got it, I moved. So, as soon as I come across it amidst the clutter, I will make yougurt from either soy or almond milk. I'll let you know how it turns out (soon, I hope).

Good luck, Laura

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

Hi there,
I ordered a yogurt machine from Amazon. It was only $30.00. I was also able to get the starter from there, too. i haven't used it yet, because shortly after I got it, I moved. So, as soon as I come across it amidst the clutter, I will make yougurt from either soy or almond milk. I'll let you know how it turns out (soon, I hope).

Good luck, Laura
Thanks Laura,

only one caution-- the starter has to be more non-dairy yogurt (or so I've read) otherwise I'm told it won't work.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan820 View Post

Thanks Laura,

only one caution-- the starter has to be more non-dairy yogurt (or so I've read) otherwise I'm told it won't work.
Nope. You can use dairy yogurt, the bacteria are the same. You can also use powdered yogurt starter -- many brands contain lactose, but some vegan starters are available online.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Nope. You can use dairy yogurt, the bacteria are the same. You can also use powdered yogurt starter -- many brands contain lactose, but some vegan starters are available online.
Really?! That would be fantastic. I don't really care if there are trace amounts of dairy as I'm not vegan but veg. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the info!

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts