VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...without a yogurt machine. I have trawled the internet and tried one method with limited success, and I was curious if anyone had their own fool-proof, near fool-proof or at least relatively easy methods of making yogurt at home. I'm after soy yogurt particularly but from what I gather dairy and soy yogurt work with the same process, right?

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I had decent luck making soy yogurt by heating soy milk on the stove to the proper temp, adding some soy yogurt and then putting it a large jar with a screw on lid (I filled the jar with boiling water whilst i was heating the milk then drained and dried it) and then kept it in my airing cupboard overnight with a tea cozy on it and wrapped in a towel. But it always came out runny and you had to strain it through a tea towel for an hour to thicken it up.

I can't say it was great--as it seemed to take ages to heat up etc and then straining it the next day. but having a warm airing cupboard helped. We don't have that where we live now. Some people also say in the oven with just the light on for warmth but our oven doesn't have a light! I did read somewhere about putting it on a heating pad in a styrofoam insulated cooler to keep it warm. But it did taste good once it was was made and strained, but I felt it was easier/cheaper to just buy it.

Here is a link about making it that might be helpful: http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1999382.htm

If I thought I could make yogurt from oatmilk i would try again. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts