VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined fitday.com today and entered what I ate so far. I know this is only one day, and my diet will change from day to day. However, the only two nutrients that I was short on were Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. However, once I added my vitamin as a "custom food" then everything was fine, taking up my vitamin D intake to about 200% of the RDA, and my B12 intake to about 300% of the RDA. I am a breastfeeding mom, but I consumed almost 3500 calories, so I assume I'm OK. What do you think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never had children, but I was raised in a very pro-breastfeeding, pro-veg environment. It sounds like you are doing well, but if you really want some solid advice, contact La Leche League (a breastfeeding support network). They are wonderful for nursing concerns and nutrition, and they can provide a ton of resources. I know there were veg moms in the group my mother led, so I would be really surprised if they were not veg-friendly.

Let me know if you want more info. I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I read this great book above. It talks about all the stages through life and what exactly you need during those stages. Here are some pointers that I'm directly quoting from the book...

pg. 206 "Increase food intake by approximately 100 calories a day during the first trimester of pregnancy, 300 calories a day during the last two trimesters, and 500 calories a day during lactation.

--------------------------------

pg. 208

Recommended Number of Servings during Pregnancy and Lactation

Beans and Alternates= 3 to 4

Milks and Alternates= 6 to 8

Vegetables and fruits= 7 to 10

Grains= 7 to 11

Omega-3 Fatty Acid= 2

Vitamin B12= 2.6 mcg (pregnancy)

2.8 mcg (lactation)

Vitamin D= 5 mcg

-----------------------------------

pg. 217

"Most foods can be eaten during breast-feeding without a problem, although some babies are sensitive to garlic, onion, hot spices, soda pop, MSG, licorice, and artificial sweeteners."

I hope that helped you a little bit. You should always ask your doctor. And I got this book from Barnes and Noble and it has references for every chapter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts