VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can u use dried basil and parsley? Or does it have to be fresh? Seems like if u combine it and let it sit, the dried herbs would rehydrate.
Also, I'm using walnuts, not pine nuts.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I don't think that they would hydrate enough to make the idea plausible.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boo. I'm going to try it anyway. Well...I may still have some fresh basil in my garden out back...its cold and a stretch, but ill check. Will post back and give success/fail news!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
They taste a little different, and the texture can be rough, but it should be passable as pesto. Basil dries fairly well, as far as flavour retention goes. You might need to mix in some other veggie for more bulk, though.

Walnuts should be a fair substitution. Sounds delicious.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

They taste a little different, and the texture can be rough, but it should be passable as pesto. Basil dries fairly well, as far as flavour retention goes. You might need to mix in some other veggie for more bulk, though.

Walnuts should be a fair substitution. Sounds delicious.
I have romaine...edamame...lol
Little in the way of bulk veggies. Although I bet edamame ground on could be interesting

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

Boo. I'm going to try it anyway. Well...I may still have some fresh basil in my garden out back...its cold and a stretch, but ill check. Will post back and give success/fail news!!
'Zee basil...she is dried 'zee f*** up. Completely. Dead branches, no leaves. So much for hoping...although it *is* January.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Do you have any frozen sweet peas? Those are good for stretching a sauce; they add a nice unobtrusive sweet tone without dominating the sauce.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so I mixed my walnuts, evoo, 1/4 cup dried basil, healthy dose of dried parsley, a few cloves garlic, red pepper flakes and sea salt, and its come out yummy. Letting it sit in the food processor for a bit to meld flavors. This is going to top bowtie pasta, Roma tomatoes, onion, black olives, and portabella mushrooms later.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Do you have any frozen sweet peas? Those are good for stretching a sauce; they add a nice unobtrusive sweet tone without dominating the sauce.
Great idea! I do! I used too much sea salt so had to add more oil and nuts...pease much bettah.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

When I went pesto, I just buy a basil plant. It's cheaper than the precut stuff and it's hard to kill them.
It's definitely cheaper, but it's almost impossible not to kill them.

Sitting there all delicious looking with all of those tasty leaves... turns out plants don't do so well when you accidentally eat all of their leaves off. Repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

Great idea! I do! I used too much sea salt so had to add more oil and nuts...pease much bettah.
Yes, and they make a super creamy green sauce; a bit healthier than oil. Probably a fair toss-up with nuts.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:

It's definitely cheaper, but it's almost impossible not to kill them.

Sitting there all delicious looking with all of those tasty leaves... turns out plants don't do so well when you accidentally eat all of their leaves off. Repeatedly.
Rosemary has been the hardest plant for me to kill, Basil is 2nd. I have a black thumb. I had some basil plants die on me back to back because of the wind and I think some kind of bacteria. A few years back, I started a thread for help on how to keep them alive. Check out the pictures:

(May 27th)

(June 13th)

(August)

When most everything died in winter, the rosemary was going strong.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My pesto turned out pretty good! I used 1/4 cup dried basil and the other ingredients, blended while slowly adding the evoo, and I let it sit for an hour. Added to pasta and veggies and really enjoyed it. Of course, this was my first try. Maybe I can improve next time? Use fresh??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.