VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great article.

The money quote:

"Ive written before about the importance of acknowledging peoples fears and perceived barriers about going vegan. Our job as change makers on behalf of animals is to put those fears to rest by making dietary change as easy and realistic as possiblewithout promoting practices that compromise health, of course. And the nice thing about nutrition research, as opposed to popular nutrition dogma, is that it shows us that a healthy vegan diet is less challenging than most people imagine."

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
The part that stands out for me:

"But people who perceive barriers to going vegan need to have their concerns acknowledged, not dismissed. Heres the thing: Giving up whole categories of food that you love and that are familiar and that you know how to prepare and that have always been a part of your family and social celebrations is not necessarily easy. At least not for everyone."

"The idea isnt to reinforce concerns and pre-conceived ideas about veganism, but to recognize them, and then help people find ways to work through them."

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I love articles like these. It's like a breath of fresh air in a movement filled with articles about how "SUGAR AND PROCESSED FOODS ARE TOXIC AND PEOPLE WHO EAT THEM ARE NOT VEGAN" and stuff like that. I'm a big fan of sane, researched opinions.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Love the Vegan R.D. and very nice article.
Makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Ummm. ok.
I get Ginny's point. And it's a good one. Address nonvegans' concerns about vegan nutrition with sound advice that's easy for them to apply.
Absolutely, that's important. But come'on...

Compare the "ease" of...

"A recent review of 135 studies suggests that it's okay to consume some refined grains, as long as at least half of your grain intake is from whole foods. I'm not especially surprised. Sure, whole wheat bread is better for you than white bread and brown rice is way more nutritious than white. But the idea that we sacrifice health unless every bite of food lives up to some ideal of whole foods perfection doesn't usually hold up to scientific scrutiny." (Messina's point)

vs.

It's one thing to phrase concepts in an academic matter for an academic setting. And nuance is important in other settings, too. It's OK if the goal is to develop an air of authority and integrity so others trust your opinions. But when you're writing about making nutrition easy, well, you should make your advice just a little easier for the Average Joe to read, understand, and apply.

To me, it sounds more like she's trying to defend herself against the anti-grains crowd rather than trying to inform nonvegans that they can eat (and perhaps should) eat whole grains. I do, however, appreciate the links to other bloggers who have offered simple vegan menus. Now that, is really helpful for the omnis who read her stuff. And I liked the article she linked to that she wrote prior better than this one.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I like her books. She refutes people's misconceptions about veg*nism but isn't afraid to state that it isn't all beneficial either....will acknowledge we may need higher qtys of some nutrients etc. quite the realist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts