VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are books that go into how you can make bread at home taking only 5 minutes per day. They're pricey though. Does anyone know how you go about doing this?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Ohhhhhh they are awesome cookbooks! It doesn't actually only take 5 minutes, but after it's risen, there is only about 5 minutes of active shaping time. The bread is really good, and I have both of Zoe's books. Artisen bread in 5 and the whole grain one.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Find a breadmaker! You will have bread with less than five minutes work!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Check out the Bread in Five Minutes authors' blog here -- they have lots of recipes, and some other tips and troubleshooting info.

It's true that the bread isn't ready in 5 minutes, but the active time really is 5 minutes or less per loaf. The convenience and versatility is awesome -- you can use the dough for rolls, pizza crust, flatbreads, breadsticks, traditional sandwich loaves, baguettes. The flavor is much better than anything I've made in my bread machine, although I do still use the bread machine from time to time when I don't have a bucket of dough handy in the fridge. The refrigerator storage helps the yeast produce more flavor.

You will need a really large container if you do a full recipe - at least a 5 qt bowl (6 qt is preferable). Let us know if you try it!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
check out the blog link up above. They have direct links to order the books, and there are many free recipes not in the books that are on the blog....they are working on a pizza cookbook now.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

Not sure about those books, but if you're just looking for fresh homemade bread to have with dinner, this recipe is in the oven in 5 minutes easily. Quick, easy, vegan. My omni husband loves it too.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...d.php?t=114667
Wow, that looks yummy! Maybe I'll try that tomorrow and forego the pizza! (What a difficult decision... Home-made pizza vs home-made bread!)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aaahhhh bread making! My latest thing. I'm afraid I've cheated a bit.. well a lot actually! I got this breadmaker: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...sCategory.html and have only just started using it. Well my excuse is that I'm too busy to do it from scratch. Actually, that's not quite true.. I'm now semi-retired!

The big test will be this weekend when my two sons visit me.. they love crusty (French) bread- but will they like mine? Call bacl next week to find out! Lol!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I've looked at the links, and recipes, but who has that much room in their refrigerator?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I only make half a recipe and bake up the two loaves. You don't have to store it in the fridge if you make them right up, or you can make half the recipe, bake 1/2 and store 1/2. Not much room at all then.

If you are feeding a family, the whole recipe is a good start.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If you get one of the "buckets," it doesn't take up that much shelf space, although you do have to have some height available. Sometimes it takes a little rearranging, but I usually put mine where the gallons of milk used to go.

But, yeah, you can definitely do half a recipe (or even a quarter, but the measurements would get sort of annoying at that point) -- it isn't *as* much time savings then, but still would be pretty quick. You can also freeze leftover dough or baked breads. I would recommend refrigerating at least overnight before you bake the bread, as it really helps the flavor develop, but at that point you could bake or freeze all of the dough and have your refrigerator space back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts