VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Why would people actually ask for lollipops with chicken pox spit on them to give their children? And what's worse is the police are worried only about prosecuting those sending the lollipops to those who ask, instead of taking the children away from these parents trying to get these pops for their kids!
My mom always taught me to never accept food from friends or strangers because of the chance of something being poisoned or infected, and there parents are trying to purposely infect their kid? They think that's okay but vaccination is wrong?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Why would people actually ask for lollipops with chicken pox spit on them to give their children?
So that their kid(s) can get chickenpox. If you never get chickenpox as a kid, it can be life-threatening as an adult.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I can't stand to watch Southpark.

These parents probably want their kids to get chickenpox instead of being forced to get the vaccine. This is a disgusting way to go about it, however.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
When I was young, pre-chicken-pox-vaccine, moms used to have chicken pox parties. The sick kid had his friends over, and they just had a regular day of play indoors. All kids got chicken pox in the US then, so this way the parents were trying to: A. Have the kids get it when it is not very dangerous, as it can be as an adult, and B. Have all their kids get it at once. If you have three kids, often one gets it, then 2 weeks later the next, then 2 weeks later the third. They figured it was easier to have them all get it at once. Stupid idea, imo, but whatever.

I am not even sure a disgusting chicken pox licked lollipop would work to transmit the virus, anyway. I'm not sure how long it lives on surfaces, as most people catch it by droplets in the air breathed in.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

When I was young, pre-chicken-pox-vaccine, moms used to have chicken pox parties. The sick kid had his friends over, and they just had a regular day of play indoors. All kids got chicken pox in the US then, so this way the parents were trying to: A. Have the kids get it when it is not very dangerous, as it can be as an adult, and B. Have all their kids get it at once. If you have three kids, often one gets it, then 2 weeks later the next, then 2 weeks later the third. They figured it was easier to have them all get it at once. Stupid idea, imo, but whatever.

I am not even sure a disgusting chicken pox licked lollipop would work to transmit the virus, anyway. I'm not sure how long it lives on surfaces, as most people catch it by droplets in the air breathed in.
That's actually what happened to me.. in the early 90s... attended a chickenpox party.
lol

Upside? Got to stay home and play nintendo!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
According to the TV reports, parents have turned to a Facebook group called "Find a Pox Party in Your Area" to link up people looking to share the virus.

Someone, anyone, please tell me this is made up.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Nope. People are afraid of the vaccine, but they aren't afraid of the virus anymore. Even though it seems that the pediatric version of chickenpox is occasionally fatal.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
lol @ chickenpox parties. That being said when our oldest got chickenpox one of my wife's friends did bring her kids to play so they'd get exposed. Our 3 kids ended up getting it serially so yeah month, month and a half of chickenpox... fun times.

One of my aunts got it when she was 18 or 19, not good she was very, very sick.

This was all pre vaccine era.

Edit to add, when my sis and I were young 5 & 6 my grandmother was watching us for a week whilst parents were vacationing, she got the opportunity to expose us to chickenpox... my mom was not happy, lol.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I don't actually remember a lot of having the chicken pox.
I remember being really itchy from it, though.
I think I got it around 4 or 5.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
TBH I dont think a vaccine for chickenpox is necessary. I got it and just had itchy bumps for a couple of weeks. I had mumps when I was 2, and I also had measles too at one point. I had them all... there were no vaccines. I did get a TB vaccine and Polio, and all the other baby injections though....

BTW there were no disease parties. You just went to school one day and came back with it. You didnt go to a party for it, that was unheard of.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I was in third grade when I got chickenpox. It started off with a fever, and then a week or two of itching, but feeling fine otherwise.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I went to 3 chicken pox parties as a child in the 1970s and never managed to catch it much to my mum's disappointment. Then at age 22 (1 month after I was married) i caught it working in a daycare. it was pretty bad as I recall--I had blisters all over including my scalp, bottoms of my feet and inside my mouth. I still have some scars. I had high fever as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts