VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never gotten mail order plants because these companies don't ship to PO boxes or to Hawaii.<br><br><br><br>
I do get a lot of catalogs in the mail (I'm sure Burpee/Stokes/Burgess has given my name to every mailorder company in the U.S) - and I wonder about them.<br><br><br><br>
Next year I will be moving to the states - and could actually order from one of these companies, but I wonder if the quality is good - or should I avoid them.<br><br><br><br>
Has anyone had any experience with mailorder plants?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've ordered live plants. From Park Seed I ordered a Mandevilla vine that seems healthy. I ordered flowers from Jung Seed and Nursery. The all looked healthy when they arrived, but only 1 of 3 of the Delphinium and 1 of 3 of the Veronica survived. All 3 of the Pink Coreopsis are fine. I'm pretty sure they will replace or give a refund for the plants that died.<br><br><br><br>
From Gurney's Seed and Nursery I ordered blueberry bushes and raspberry canes. Both are doing great. Also from them I ordered a Nora Barlow Columbine and it looks healthy too. It probably won't bloom this year though.<br><br><br><br>
I ordered a Japanese Persimmon tree from Stark an I believe it's dead above the graft area. I have another older tree of the same variety from them. It's a beautiful tree and has done great in my yard. So I was disappointed that this one died. They are very good about offering to replace or refund. Only thing is they are sold out of the Japanese Persimmons and I'll have to wait until next spring.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was given 4 seedlings for some Crapemyrtle trees that I got from the Arbor Day Foundation, but they have yet to grow even an inch in the 4 or 5 months that I've had them planted. I don't know how trees grow so that might be normal...<br><br><br><br>
I have never mail-ordered anything live for my garden though.. if I don't grow something from seeds then I get plants from Lowe's because they will replace your plant or give you your money back if it dies within a whole year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts