VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"This product was made on equipment that processes milk"
"This was made in a facility that uses eggs"

How do you respond to food with these labels?

Personally, as long as dairy isn't an ingredient of the food, I don't mind it. What do you think?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sªmªnthª View Post

How do you respond to food with these labels?
I respond to the food in a very negative way. I start berating it: "what the ****'s wrong with you? Why do you have these weird labels?" Sometimes I spend hours and hours at the store, unloading my verbal assault on those items, until I'm too exhausted to continue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I respond to the food in a very negative way. I start berating it: "what the ****'s wrong with you? Why do you have these weird labels?" Sometimes I spend hours and hours at the store, unloading my verbal assault on those items, until I'm too exhausted to continue.
um... what??

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Personally, I don't care about that label, it doesn't mean that the product in question represents animal exploitation or animal commodification to me.

Sent from my iPhone 7.88 using BoboBabble

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Those labels are there as a precaution for people with severe allergies to certain products. It does not mean that there is dairy in the food you are eating, just that it touched something that touched dairy. Unless your intention is to never buy or eat from non-vegan companies and establishments, these products are fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I love you, Sevenseas.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah, I also will eat food that has that label. It's basically there for the people who are severely allergic to dairy/eggs so they don't get sued. :p

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Sometimes it says "may contain traces of ...." . Sometimes it says "processed in a facilty that uses ....". I have avoided things that said "may contain traces", like Traitor Joe's Pesto sauce (says something about traces of Fish on the label).

But I still eat spaghetti that says " processed in a facility that uses milk". I'm hoping it's other machines that they are using milk in and not the ones that are making the noodles I'm eating. I'd like to avoid buying it, but I go *more* insane if I go too long without eating spaghetti.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch using two knobs.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
yeah i still buy it.
it'd be kinda pointless not to...
sure i wish i could buy everything that was made especially to be vegan, but that isn't possible and i'm not going raw anytime soon soo yeah..

·
Registered
5 Posts
The labels that say "traces of..." I avoid. The ones that have vegan ingredients but say they use shared equipment, I would buy anyway...I think it's important to support these companies (as long as they're using all vegan ingredients!) so that someday maybe they won't have to use shared equipment. Most of the time they do for financial reasons...

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Commercial kitchens can be very expensive to build so many smaller companies will share a kitchen. Each one rents it for a specific time. That's one reason why some products will have that disclaimer. So yeah, I buy those products.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Aren't the ones that say "this may contain traces of..." the exact same? I mean I bought tortilla chips and all ingredients were completely vegan but it mentioned wheat, milk, eggs, and soy. I figured that it was just like they had to. Like they shared kitchens or something like yall mentioned. Am I wrong? I'm new to this so I just want to get it set straight :)

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
^ yes I believe so because I recently bought trader joe's bistro biscuits and they are labeled vegan but then it says may contain traces of milk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok good that makes me feel better because I have many "definitely vegan" foods that have that on there and after reading this was a little worried lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts