VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Micro$oft has come up with yet another way to screw their customers. It seems that the date for Daylight Saving Time has recently been changed to March 11 (from April 1, under the former rules). To cope with this change, many of your M$ programs need to be "patched." M$ will gladly sell you this patch--for $4,000.00.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=288

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Um... can't you just change the time manually? I know there might be some large companies with a whole lot of computers but really, I think there would be some easy ways around this.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Sun is doing something similarly bizarre with their old OS's too, despite much of it being fixable by simply downloading the free zoneinfo files from elsewhere and recompiling them.

There are certain advantages to just using GMT.

·
Registered
0 Posts
ORLY?

That $4,000 is only for "Microsoft products that already have moved from "Mainstream" to "Extended" support" such as Server 2000 and Exchange Server 2000.

·
Registered
0 Posts
"Every one commits extortion who, without reasonable justification or excuse and with intent to obtain anything, by threats, accusations, menaces or violence induces or attempts to induce any person, whether or not he is the person threatened, accused or menaced or to whom violence is shown, to do anything or cause anything to be done." Canadian Criminal Code.

The US Goverment changed DST, M$ is offering a fix for customers who are no longer covered by normal service agreements, hardly extortion.

M$ is not obliged to patch old software, you don't like it, switch to open source and build your own patch.

BTW: I am neither an M$ supporter or fanboy, I use what I have to and find other solutions when I can.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Jeezus cryst. My clocks that have automatic radiowave call-in for time synchronization, have updated the time correctly, but my computer has not. Time.nist.gov is not responding anymore, either at the clock program, or if I key it into the browser address bar. It used to work fine, either way. All the time-sites that I CAN connect to are giving me eastern standard time. I suppose because this is because the Daylight time switchover is hard-coded into windows, rather than coming from the time server. I think I am going to just going to switch to GMT to simplify things.

by the way there is a registry change you can make to add new time servers to your clock, but it appears they are all just going to report standard time, not daylight time, and that it is windows that is making the adjustment for standard or daylight, not the server. Why ms couldn't make windows work fine, but my clocks can work fine, I don't know.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
So has anyone ran the ms patch? I don't want to be the first person to try it!

I backed up all my data files. I don't want to have to reinstall my operating system and all my programs, if the patch eff's up!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have run the Microsoft 'tzedit' program many times with great success. It is totally safe.

I used 'tzedit' to update at least two dozen workstations at the office and a half dozen times at home on various machines. Not one hiccup.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Sketchy the patch I downloaded from microsoft is not named tzedit, but is named XP-KB931863-x86.ENU.exe. Its "properties page" (the "version" tab) said its "original filename" was SFXCAB.EXE. I got it by pressing the "download" button on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_hu2?systemlist=w18 and saving the file to the folder under which I put program distribution files. It is where I was lead when seeking to get the correct DST update for Windows XP Pro, with Service Pack 2.

I am being warned, after opening it, to "back up your system, close all open programs," and "you may need to restart..."

I did back up my data files, and "system state," but just to get 2 or 3 weeks with the correct time, I don't want to risk having to reinstall my whole operating system, all my program files, and all my data files. Doing all that could take 2 weeks.

By the way, "restore" no longer seems to work on my computer. I always get a message saying "there is nothing to restore, you haven't made any restorable changes." Even tho I've made many changes.

·
Registered
897 Posts
sorry if i jump in here sketchy, i'm bored.

KB931863 is the DST update patch for Windows XP SP2. If you've had automatic updates enabled, you will already have it. It doesn't hurt to run it again; it will simply fail out saying you already have it. The boilerplate is the usual CYA.

tzedit is a different app that semi-automates changing the DST tables in the registry. You could use it instead, or even to double check that the above patch has been installed, but why bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Sketchy the patch I downloaded from microsoft is not named tzedit, but is named XP-KB931863-x86.ENU.exe. Its "properties page" (the "version" tab) said its "original filename" was SFXCAB.EXE. I got it by pressing the "download" button on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_hu2?systemlist=w18 and saving the file to the folder under which I put program distribution files. It is where I was lead when seeking to get the correct DST update for Windows XP Pro, with Service Pack 2.

I am being warned, after opening it, to "back up your system, close all open programs," and "you may need to restart..."

I did back up my data files, and "system state," but just to get 2 or 3 weeks with the correct time, I don't want to risk having to reinstall my whole operating system, all my program files, and all my data files. Doing all that could take 2 weeks.

By the way, "restore" no longer seems to work on my computer. I always get a message saying "there is nothing to restore, you haven't made any restorable changes." Even tho I've made many changes.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Thanks veggiefrank. I did a "windows update" through MS explorer (I do them manually once every few months, instead of automatically) and I could see that a DST update was one of the recommended files. I installed 32 security files and the dst file and even before I restarted my computer I could see that DST was already displaying correctly.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My friend sent me the patch and I ran it for XP with Service Pack 2. I got a weird error running it that said I had the current version (I actually ran it twice because my popup blocker was on and screwed up the popup screen) but my clock was correct when I started my laptop the next morning so I guess it worked?

I used the same link you posted here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts