VeggieBoards banner

Lurker gone member

579 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  YellowRose 
#1 ·
I've been pulling advice and recipes off this board for awhile. I figured it was about time I made an account. I'm Rose, and I've been a vegetarian for about four months now.

I love my new diet! I've tried so many wonderful foods I don't know that I would have tried otherwise. The toughest thing for me is avoiding soy. A few people members of my family are allergic to it, and while it doesn't send me to the hospital, it gives me rashes and mild stomach pains. So much for tofu/tempeh/all that stuff. It's also a pain to find bread and crackers and stuff like that. I'm hoping maybe some other members on here will have advice for working around that kind of thing.

Good to be a member! See you around!

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome!

You really don't need soy! Other beans are great sources of protein too, as are whole grains. If you still eat eggs and dairy, you probably have nothing to worry about protein-wise anyway.

As I'm sure you know, soy is added to all sorts of things nowadays. Stores that sell more natural foods, like Whole Foods, or a local food coop, will probably have a greater variety of products without these weird additives.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

I've tried so many wonderful foods I don't know that I would have tried otherwise.
A universal experience!
Its especially gotten me into ethnic cooking.
The whole meat with a side of eggs with dairy for dessert is something rather unique to our culture, and there's a whole world out there that doesn't eat that way.

I especially like Madhur Jaffrey cookbooks!

WELCOME!!!

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

Welcome
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Welcome!

You really don't need soy! Other beans are great sources of protein too, as are whole grains. If you still eat eggs and dairy, you probably have nothing to worry about protein-wise anyway.

As I'm sure you know, soy is added to all sorts of things nowadays. Stores that sell more natural foods, like Whole Foods, or a local food coop, will probably have a greater variety of products without these weird additives.
I've been meaning to check out Whole Foods. There's one right near where I just moved, and I'm rather excited for it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeidee View Post

Welcome! And congrats on 4 months!
Thank you! It's really flown, to be honest. I tried and failed as a (very) young teenager to go veg in an omni household, but now that I'm out and doing my own shopping and cooking, it's honestly a breeze. Meat is starting to look kind of weird to me, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

A universal experience!
Its especially gotten me into ethnic cooking.
The whole meat with a side of eggs with dairy for dessert is something rather unique to our culture, and there's a whole world out there that doesn't eat that way.

I especially like Madhur Jaffrey cookbooks!

WELCOME!!!
Ooh, I'll check out the cookbooks. Italian food is my favorite, but I've just started to get into beans, too. Never really ate them before - had no idea how many possibilities there were! I love it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.