VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - first post here!

I've been veggie for about a month and a half and about 2 weeks ago I decided to switch to drinking soy milk because I was thinking of eventually going vegan.

I have a positive ANA to lupus but am not diagnosed as I do not have half of the symptoms. However, in the last two days I've developed this angry red rash on both sides of my neck. After a bit of investigation on the internet I discovered that soy can cause rashes to flare up in lupus sufferers.

So my question is has any one else here had the same experience? I'm kind of freaking out at the moment and undecided if I should go to the doc and then find out its nothing.

Oh and btw I haven't used anything different on my skin or anything - its just the soy that's new

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have been Ovo-lacto, eating only occasional soy (either boca burgers or tofu). In around March, I decided to get more "vegetarian" & less ovo-lacto, so I started to drink only soy milk, and stopped eating eggs and ate a lot more soy. I already knew that TVP made me horribly ill-- Within about a month of raising my soy levels, I started developing a horrid itchy rash on my legs. In around May, I went to the doctors and we even imagined it could be bug bites. Then the rash expanded to my middle, then went up my arms (both upper and lower, mainly on the insides). Also, the rash was on the back of my neck! I was out of my mind with the itching! In order to sleep I had to take sleeping pills. I took some elastic bandages and wrapped them around my arms so I wouldn't scratch. Like you, I thought it was the brand of soap I was using. It was like red itchy little blisters! Like I had rolled in poison ivy (which I did not). I would scratch the blisters, some became infected, now I have a lot of scars. In August, I finally stopped drinking soy milk and stopped eating soy-- the rash was cleared up in a few weeks. I dont think I have lupus-- but I definately am allergic to soy-- I'm pretty sure a lot of people are.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Flares are associated with diagnosed diseases. What the rash means is unclear. Maybe it's an reaction to soy, but chances are great that it's not. Leave out soy for a couple of days and if the rash doesn't disappear see a dermatologist. If it disappears reintroduce soy and see if the rash returns. Then you know for sure that you have to stay away from soy. Otherwise soy is very healthy, and it would be a shame to unnecessarily avoid it.

11,550 Posts
i agree with lothar. why not try rice milk or almond milk or one of the other non soy milks for a bit, instead of using soy milk, and see what happens. if nothing else, you might gain some tasty new food/drink items to add to your diet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advice.

I've decided to stop drinking the soy for a few days and see if it goes away but then as Lothar suggested, drink some again and see if I get the same reaction.

I'm going to miss soy milk! I prefer it over diary milk now!

·
Registered
87 Posts
i, personally, find rice milk more to my liking- if you are in an area with kroger stores, they carry quite a few varieties of milk alternatives, compared to meijer....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts