VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should be visible over North America as the moon sets early Saturday morning before dawn, and over Asia and Australia (they'll get the best views) as it rises Saturday evening. Anybody going to watch?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just finished watching it. It totally disappeared from our sight 10 mn ago, it was amazing.
It was supposed to get this reddish tinge but didn't though.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I contemplated getting up at 6 this morning to watch, but it's like my day off, and I decided to sleep in....

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I got stoned and I missed it...

Just kidding about the stoned part. I saw the full moon a few times when I woke up during the night but didn't get up for the eclipse. I've seen two total lunar eclipses over the years, but that's no excuse not to still feel the wonder of it when it happens...

What amazes me, though, is how the moon is precisely the right size and distance from the earth to JUST block the image of the sun sometimes for a total solar eclipse, and sometimes show just a ring of sun around the moon when an annular solar eclipse occurs (I saw one of those too, back in 1994).

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to confess, I slept through it. Well, it was, like, zero-degrees outside. My ambition crashed.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I didn't even know we were having one.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i was thinking about watching but i've seen a bunch of them, partial and full. i prefer the ones that happen between sunset and 4am.
anyone take pictures?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Apparently it was cloudy here anyways. Good ol' Pacific Northwest.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
^^^I wonder when weathermen will catch onto the fact that an interesting astronomical event has a high probability of causing cloudy weather?

I've lucked out sometimes, though. I've seen some cool solar and lunar eclipses, as well as a few comets and meteors. (Granted, comets usually hang around for a few days at least, so bad weather isn't such a problem seeing them).

Isn't a meteor shower coming up within a month? (Not that I want any of us to get frostbite watching a few flaming space rocks...)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.