VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to ask if you know somewhat I typed may not make sense, due to my grammar and how I explain it..

Trying to remember, while I was over weight 174 I would sometimes had back problems from any normal thing really although it would be sore sometimes.

When I had lost all that weight being a vegan cause I choose to not from me being over weight... I have been having some back issues but wasn't that serious although sometimes I would get little bit more pain that prevented me from doing just normal stuff.

From all the back doctors I had only 1 found my back issue was really serious, meaning I wasn't able to turn clockwise in a normal motion nor bend over with my back while my legs are straight, while I feel the lower back pain.

I had a xray only from my lower back, while the german doctor saw it.. He showed the lower bone shape of my back that wasn't straight.

He said people who had back issues would be over weight, in my case I would sometimes had the slite pain but nothing serious although.

Because I was always over weight while I was growing up 12 I believe, I was an am a vegan/vegetarian since 2008.

My question is, in my case did I always have a lower back problem regarding spine bone that once I lost the weight just made it worst because tons of weight I had preventing the pain? Or I was just born with it, and it has nothing to do with being a vegan.

Oh I also wanna mention, while I was a teen still being overweight my back stopped working. I mean like I couldn't stand or get up it felt like the wind was pushing me down, happen 2 times while sleeping in my bed (was going to the bathroom then I fell down) Other one while I was walking then fell to the floor.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Your back issues have nothing to do with being a vegan. And even if it is true that being lighter makes it more painful, it does not mean that the problem isn't still there when you're heavier. And being overweight is going to cause other health problems, too. Your best bet is to just try and get it fixed/managed.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I suffer sometimes with lower back discomfort, but mine is due to the fact that I had the chicken pox when I was child. Anyone who's had chicken pox carries the Herpes type-1 virus for the rest of their life. Typically, the virus lays completely dormant, but takes up residence in the lower spine. The result can be a muscular tension in the lower back area that can restrict the normal flow of the bowels and produce a chronic, mild constipation. Left untreated, it can become very uncomfortable. There is no cure for Herpes type 1 virus, but I've learned it can be easily managed with an herb, Melissa Officinalis- also known as Lemon Balm Leaf. Please understand, my condition may be completely different from yours. I mention this only as a possibility. Did you ever have chicken pox?

Have you consulted with a chiropractor about your back problem?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Tons of things can cause back pain. Being overweight is a big one, but it is too hard to tell if being overweight was the actual cause of your back problems or something else like there was already an issue with your spine and being overweight made it worse.

Its great that you lost weight and are eating veg
Dont dwell on whether or not you caused this back issue from being heavy, what is important is that you are at a healthy weight now and the rest of your life.

Did your Dr. recommend physical therapy (physio its called in some places)? This is really helpful for managing back pain, try to get some if you are not already doing physical therapy. Also massage and yoga are great easy ways to relieve back pain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Your back issues have nothing to do with being a vegan. And even if it is true that being lighter makes it more painful, it does not mean that the problem isn't still there when you're heavier. And being overweight is going to cause other health problems, too. Your best bet is to just try and get it fixed/managed.
I am thankful it has nothing to do with being a vegan, as the german doctor I have was puzzled cause he mention (losing weight would help the back pain) trying to manage and fix it, mom wants me to use pain meds for my back which I refuse to. He would rather have a long term fix then a short term fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I suffer sometimes with lower back discomfort, but mine is due to the fact that I had the chicken pox when I was child. Anyone who's had chicken pox carries the Herpes type-1 virus for the rest of their life. Typically, the virus lays completely dormant, but takes up residence in the lower spine. The result can be a muscular tension in the lower back area that can restrict the normal flow of the bowels and produce a chronic, mild constipation. Left untreated, it can become very uncomfortable. There is no cure for Herpes type 1 virus, but I've learned it can be easily managed with an herb, Melissa Officinalis- also known as Lemon Balm Leaf. Please understand, my condition may be completely different from yours. I mention this only as a possibility. Did you ever have chicken pox?

Have you consulted with a chiropractor about your back problem?
I asked mom, if I had chicken pox that she answered yes.. Chiropractor if you mean the back german doctor I went to that found the result of my lower back spine, while other back doctor's didn't find anything. Then yes he knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Tons of things can cause back pain. Being overweight is a big one, but it is too hard to tell if being overweight was the actual cause of your back problems or something else like there was already an issue with your spine and being overweight made it worse.

Its great that you lost weight and are eating veg
Dont dwell on whether or not you caused this back issue from being heavy, what is important is that you are at a healthy weight now and the rest of your life.

Did your Dr. recommend physical therapy (physio its called in some places)? This is really helpful for managing back pain, try to get some if you are not already doing physical therapy. Also massage and yoga are great easy ways to relieve back pain.
While I had that much weight as a teen, my back clasp two times as I did mention while couldn't get up.. I have mention this to other back doctors and they told me (it's not important) while it was very important it was telling me that something is wrong with my back.

I have a theory, the reason I had less back issues it's the results of all that fat where my back is located that made it like a pillow for my lower spine. So while the weight was gone the fat (pillow) was gone also results of having more stress from my lower back. Well it's just my theory.

I was at back therapy for a month I believe, as he recommend it including it's free to me thank god right..
While I was doing my back exercised at home everything was fine until I had to move my couch to another part of my bedroom, because there was water coming from the wall to the floor that I had to make sure didn't damage my rug.. In other words I damaged my lower spine regarding lifting the couch and moving it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithloveanimal View Post

When I had lost all that weight being a vegan cause I choose to not from me being over weight... I have been having some back issues but wasn't that serious although sometimes I would get little bit more pain that prevented me from doing just normal stuff.

From all the back doctors I had only 1 found my back issue was really serious, meaning I wasn't able to turn clockwise in a normal motion nor bend over with my back while my legs are straight, while I feel the lower back pain.

I had a xray only from my lower back, while the german doctor saw it.. He showed the lower bone shape of my back that wasn't straight.
just want to add to all the previous good responses, that the most relief i ever got from back pain was a combination of acupuncture and qigong.

Quote:

Oh I also wanna mention, while I was a teen still being overweight my back stopped working. I mean like I couldn't stand or get up it felt like the wind was pushing me down, happen 2 times while sleeping in my bed (was going to the bathroom then I fell down) Other one while I was walking then fell to the floor.
this is the scariest thing. it happened to me for the first time several years ago after i played some intense hard racquetball that involved a lot of jumping and twisting...without warming up before the games. my then spouse/now ex called the ambulance and they took me to the hospital because the pain was so excruciating with just the slightest movement. my back went out again another time some years later but i forget what triggered that one.

Quote:

While I had that much weight as a teen, my back clasp two times as I did mention while couldn't get up...I have mention this to other back doctors and they told me (it's not important) while it was very important it was telling me that something is wrong with my back.
(bolded by me) i found out that back's "going out" are more common than i thought. and avoiding recurrences is possible especially since you're now going through physical therapy, which is a great preventative.

Quote:

I was at back therapy for a month I believe, as he recommend it including it's free to me thank god right..
While I was doing my back exercised at home everything was fine until I had to move my couch to another part of my bedroom, because there was water coming from the wall to the floor that I had to make sure didn't damage my rug.. In other words I damaged my lower spine regarding lifting the couch and moving it.
once you experience back pain/back going out, much caution must be taken when moving/lifting heavy items at the risk of another occurrence. i have to be super diligent in how i move my body and how i lift items and how heavy i can handle. thanks to physical therapy and yoga, i can now lift heavy objects on a daily basis. but it's a constant awareness of how much they weigh and if anything's too heavy, i get help or it doesn't get moved until help arrives. my priority is preventing those scary back breakdowns from ever happening again. hope you get to feeling less (and eventually no) back pain.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I recently read a really old article (from the early 60s) that mentioned a thing called 'vegan back' which was a stiffness of the back thoguth to be caused by a lack of b12. I've never heard of anything like that being mentioned in writings of the past 10-20 years, so I dunno if perhaps the medical world has decided that was not the case.

I can't imagine it IS to do with b12, but as I read this just a week or two ago I thought I;d mention it.

Hope you get your back sorted soon!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you from all your awesome replys, as I tend to get sloppy with my grammar not explaining a lot but I still try my best ofcourse what is best to learn is from helpful people instead I just get (I don't understand you at all) and he just talks about something else regarding a post. Gotta love game forums, you get those type of kid's.

While I went to my appointment so she can diagnose my back again, as she is well aware of my lower back situation regarding stiffness and what not.. She suggestion using the pool although she mention (no wearing speedo's either keith)

I do really try not to bend with my back, I just kneel down to pick something up as the posing look (would you marry me). As I live with my mother I tend to try and be a good son and do everything for her.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I've read that something like 90% of people with low-back pain are vitamin D deficient. You might want to research that.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.
But a dermatologist told me people in North America should take 1000-2000 IU a day. And my back pain has improved a lot, even though I don't remember to take it every day.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:

I asked mom, if I had chicken pox that she answered yes..
If so, you might try brewing a simple tea from Lemon Balm Leaf and drinking it. Dried LBL is available in bulk from Health Stores and is not expensive to buy. Just pour boiled water over a spoonful of it, sweeten it if you like, and down the hatch. If you find it does not help your back problem, you can simply stop using it. It's universally agreed, Lemon Balm Leaf is safe to use without any side effects. It isn't used a lot in the U.S.A., but I understand it's widely used in Europe for this very purpose. I find that a cup or two of Lemon Balm Tea per week is enough to keep my back tension in check. It's also good at relieving pain from a cold sore caused by the Herpes virus.

Keep in mind, as others have pointed out, that many things can contribute to back soreness. I'm going to look into Wolfie's suggestion that a lack of vitamin D may be at play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts