1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
THIS recipe is a winner. I'll probably add more beans and wholegrain pasta to make it even heartier- or maybe I'll skip the pasta, and just have this with my own home-made salt-free bread. I'm not on a sodium-restricted diet and don't have high blood pressure, but if I eat too much salt I'm constantly thirsty.

Does this need to be cooked that long though? I see that the kale is added toward the end but I would have thought that a half-hour cooking time would be plenty, so long as the beans were cooked first.

Reactions: mybell

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yay! So glad that you like this recipe, Major Tom! I don't have high blood pressure either but it runs deep in my family and I'm on the other side of 40 and am determined to keep my BP low. Most people get way, way too much salt. I also get very thirsty with high-sodium foods. You could cook it a little less - maybe 30 minutes but be sure that you maybe spend an extra 5 minutes pre-cooking those veggies so they are nice and soft. Also, maybe add the pasta and kale earlier and yes, cooked beans. You could certainly double the beans or do pretty much anything to make it more your own. I have a ton of vegetarian recipes on that article page of mine and am adding more each week. It's my dream to have my own vegetarian recipe blog - about a year out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Vanilla! So glad you like my "blog". I post a new recipe on their about once a week and will be sure to post some of them on here. I struggled making food when I was a vegetarian in the beginning having always cooked meat dishes. I love to cook though, thankfully, so it was just a matter or learning the recipes and now I create my own. It's actually much more fun to make a vegetarian meal than a meat/potatoes meal.

·
Registered
920 Posts
That looks amazing!

I'm a low-no sodium eater myself. Your list of how much sodium was in the restaurant version was shocking.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Thank you, Vanilla! So glad you like my "blog". I post a new recipe on their about once a week and will be sure to post some of them on here. I struggled making food when I was a vegetarian in the beginning having always cooked meat dishes. I love to cook though, thankfully, so it was just a matter or learning the recipes and now I create my own. It's actually much more fun to make a vegetarian meal than a meat/potatoes meal.
I bookmarked! High blood pressure runs in my family, so I do watch my sodium. I love soups and have to make my own because of the whole salt thing. Thanks for the recipe. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts