VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just did the classic "getting-out-of-bed-and-standing-on-an-upturned-plug" trick. This will mean more to UK VB-ers than our overseas friends, but blimey.... The air wasn't so much blue as every colour in existance. Plus new ones, too.

So, in honour of my idiocy, go on, pray tell us how you managed to hurt yourself in a REALLY STUPID WAY.

I'm not talking Darwin Awards nominees here, just the little stuff.

Go on. We won't laugh. Honest.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
I don't think that's a very stupid way to get hurt, we've all done it

There's a gate at work that is designed to swing open both ways, but because the builders are idiots and blocked one way with a stone pillar it only opens about 12 inches one way. I have been using said gate for 2 years but somehow I recently forgot about that. I pulled it open towards me quite forcefully, it hit the pillar, and smacked right into my face, chest and stomach. And my arch-nemesis colleague was standing right there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I don't think that's a very stupid way to get hurt, we've all done it

There's a gate at work that is designed to swing open both ways, but because the builders are idiots and blocked one way with a stone pillar it only opens about 12 inches one way. I have been using said gate for 2 years but somehow I recently forgot about that. I pulled it open towards me quite forcefully, it hit the pillar, and smacked right into my face, chest and stomach. And my arch-nemesis colleague was standing right there.
Oh no! That's insult to injury!

Given I'm trying my hand at all sorts of cooking, I like experimenting now. tried to fuse paneer with polenta the other day (turned out quite tasty, actually), but thought it could do with some chillis. Chopping away, quite at ease, I then got an itch on my eyelid.

I scratched it.

Yes..... you can guess the rest.

Yes, I'm an idiot. I know.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
When I used to live with my Sister, and it was my turn to do the dishes, playing with her German Shepard in the kitchen was way too much fun, and every freakin time I'd play with him down on the floor, a cabinet door would somehow swing open, right over me. Then when I'd get up, BAM ! And probably every time I'd go into the other room where Sis and her Hubby were hanging out, and ask " Did you hear that ? ", and they'd answer " yeah, what in the world was that ? "
This happened at least a dozen times. Yes, I've hit my head too many times, as if this needed explanation.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubnutter View Post

Oh no! That's insult to injury!

Given I'm trying my hand at all sorts of cooking, I like experimenting now. tried to fuse paneer with polenta the other day (turned out quite tasty, actually), but thought it could do with some chillis. Chopping away, quite at ease, I then got an itch on my eyelid.

I scratched it.

Yes..... you can guess the rest.

Yes, I'm an idiot. I know.
I've done that before and I've also rubbed my eyes after applying hand sanitizer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I've done that before and I've also rubbed my eyes after applying hand sanitizer. I've also poked myself in the face from completely missing my mouth while drinking out of a straw.
I've done something similar. I nearly blinded myself drinking coffee once.

Damn spoon.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I've poked myself with a little mixer straw while drinking coffee, too, a lot of times actually, but the worst time I poked myself in the eye. I had crutches when I was younger because the doctors discovered I was born with or developed a crack in my foot that had gotten really bad and I couldn't walk with the cast, so I was going upstairs and fell forward onto the corner of the step (the steps were more like shelves, there were gaps between each stair so the corner of them really hurt). My nose hurt soo much and was throbbing and I just sat their crying until my mom found me. Even my cat came over to see me but then she just started melding and pulling my hair and nuzzling me.
Once I went to pull out a plug from an extension cord and the plug wouldn't come out. Part of the silver prongs were out but the tips were stuck, so not thinking I grabbed it by the silver metal prongs and then my hand kind of fell asleep and then I felt like a buzzing pain.
Edited to add: oh also I just remembered I've shocked myself again on a plug. I just moved into a new house and we were painting, but some pair dripped into a plug while it was still wet inside I accidentally touched it (my bed is against the wall, and the cords line up around my pillow so I was going to sleep and reached my hand up to pull up my blanket absently). For a fraction of a second my hand felt like it was glued to the wall and I felt kind of a buzzing again like when your hand falls asleep, and then I realized I had shocked myself again

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I've poked myself with a little mixer straw while drinking coffee, too, a lot of times actually, but the worst time I poked myself in the eye. I had crutches when I was younger because the doctors discovered I was born with or developed a crack in my foot that had gotten really bad and I couldn't walk with the cast, so I was going upstairs and fell forward onto the corner of the step (the steps were more like shelves, there were gaps between each stair so the corner of them really hurt). My nose hurt soo much and was throbbing and I just sat their crying until my mom found me. Even my cat came over to see me but then she just started melding and pulling my hair and nuzzling me.
Once I went to pull out a plug from an extension cord and the plug wouldn't come out. Part of the silver prongs were out but the tips were stuck, so not thinking I grabbed it by the silver metal prongs and then my hand kind of fell asleep and then I felt like a buzzing pain.
Edited to add: oh also I just remembered I've shocked myself again on a plug. I just moved into a new house and we were painting, but some pair dripped into a plug while it was still wet inside I accidentally touched it (my bed is against the wall, and the cords line up around my pillow so I was going to sleep and reached my hand up to pull up my blanket absently). For a fraction of a second my hand felt like it was glued to the wall and I felt kind of a buzzing again like when your hand falls asleep, and then I realized I had shocked myself again
Don't do anything again.

Anything.

Ever.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:

Don't do anything again.

Anything.

Ever.

Lol I know, I'm really clumsy.

I forgot to put that I smacked into a pole coming out of orchestra at school one day. The exit had heavy double doors that locked into the pole in the middle, and the middle had a heavy metal bar going down it that locked the doors in, so I hit the metal bar, it bounced back and hit me in the head again and I just started hysterically laughing for some reason even though it really hurt.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ouch! I've stepped on upturned plugs before. Also when I was little my dad had a bunch of tomato poles in basement with rusty nails sticking out of them, and I stepped on one. Also shocked myself on the cord for the Christmas tree once.
One time when we were small, my sister saw a hornet in the yard, screamed "hornet!!" turned around and started running and ran smack into this big metal pole in the yard. She was also stung by a dead wasp.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_scholar View Post

She was also stung by a dead wasp.
Wait... what?

A dead wasp?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I have:

-ironed my hand (was looking other direction at something shiny, probably)
-smashed my head against toilet paper dispensers in public restrooms
-smashed into a cliff I was trying to rappel down (still have scars from that)
-attempted to walk in 4-inch heels and face-planted
-fallen down countless flights of stairs (usually while wearing a dress or skirt, thereby giving everyone a free peep-show)

Those are some that immediately come to mind. I'm clumsy, so there have been more. I'm sure they'll come to me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I have:

-ironed my hand (was looking other direction at something shiny, probably)
-smashed my head against toilet paper dispensers in public restrooms
-smashed into a cliff I was trying to rappel down (still have scars from that)
-attempted to walk in 4-inch heels and face-planted
-fallen down countless flights of stairs (usually while wearing a dress or skirt, thereby giving everyone a free peep-show)

Those are some that immediately come to mind. I'm clumsy, so there have been more. I'm sure they'll come to me.
Veggieboards should have a "Like" button, similar to that on Facebook.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I was eating potato chips so fast and furious that a piece of potato chip went into my eye. Hurt pretty bad.

I once super-glued a split finger nail, only before I put the glue on, I rubbed some baking soda into the split, 'cause baking soda gets rock hard when super-glued. But the chemical reaction of the two burned as if I held my finger over a high flame.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:

Wait... what?

A dead wasp?
If the bee makes contact with you at the perfect angle, this is possible, even probable. Kind of like with dead jellyfish.

I usually end up causing pain to myself because of my own refusal to cause harm to living beings.

Look down, see small fire ant on arm.

Panic, try to blow it off.

Fire ant digs teeth into arm to hold on.

Ow. Blow on it harder.

Digs teeth into arm harder.

Blow on it hard enough that it actually gets off my arm.

Run away in fear.

If I had just been a bit less gentle and flicked it off of my arm, which still likely wouldn't injure it, I wouldn't have ended up with as bad of a bite.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

I was eating potato chips so fast and furious that a piece of potato chip went into my eye. Hurt pretty bad.

I once super-glued a split finger nail, only before I put the glue on, I rubbed some baking soda into the split, 'cause baking soda gets rock hard when super-glued. But the chemical reaction of the two burned as if I held my finger over a high flame.
I've done the chip thing too! I was sitting upside down eating some tortilla chips and some went in my eye

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
How about swallowing a pointy piece of tortilla chip that you should have chewed more before swallowing, but didn't ? Painful and scary at the same time.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Ouch, I've done something similar before, but it wasn't with something like a pointy tortilla chip, I think the worst might've been a potato chip or something like that, but I'm tortilla chip would really hurt since it's really pointy and it doesn't disintigrate in your mouth the way a thin potato chip does.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Our wooden bed base has a little frame around the mattress, so the edges stick out. When the phone engineer was at our flat yesterday I hit my shin on the sharp edge of the base when showing him where the phone socket was. Then I did it again walking back. And then again later when I went into my room to let him work in peace. And then one final time when I left for work. I mean, really, how stupid am I?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts