VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend thought when i became a vegetarian i would lose a bunch of weight. not the case. i dont really eat nuts everyday but i eat alot of sweets. i'm just looking for soy free protein sources. i really dont even like eggs and i just noticed flax milk has very little protein compared to dairy. i dont like almond milk

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
For low fat vegan protein sources, try hemp, rice and pea protein powders as well as seitan.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Beans!

But it sounds like protein isn't really the issue here. It sounds like too many sweets. I'm in the same boat. I have a bit of a sweet tooth and when I get stressed I eat more sweet stuff.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Greek yogurt (regular can be really fatty and full of sugar), and almond butter.
Beans are definitely my favorite though, throw together a batch of chilli mmmm

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

my friend thought when i became a vegetarian i would lose a bunch of weight. not the case. i dont really eat nuts everyday but i eat alot of sweets. i'm just looking for soy free protein sources. i really dont even like eggs and i just noticed flax milk has very little protein compared to dairy. i dont like almond milk
Sweets, you say? Just completely stop eating them, you'll lose weight, I can guarantee.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Look for Quorn products. they use fungus proteins rather than soy based one. They are not vegan though since they use egg white as a binder. http://www.quorn.us/Home/

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ive lost 55 pounds in almost 5 months from going veggie.... So it works...

I gotta ask why not soy? Are you allergic? Because at first I was pretty much living off of Morning Star Products and Peanut Butter.

I soon went to Rice and Beans, Hemp Seeds (on my cereal), almond milk (maybe try rice milk?) Greek Yogurt (TONS OF Protien in this plus it has been proven to help lose weight in the belly), Mixed Deluxe Nuts, Whole Grains (Try to stay away from bleached grains, the fiber will help lose weight plus it has more nutrients)

Try to cut back on Cheeses (Good source of protien but lots of calories), Sodas, all types of sweets, and just watch your calories, even though your not eating all that animal flesh, if you still consume more calories then you should then you wont lose anything. Also if you can work in some Cardio it really helps alot... I started going to gym after about a month of going veggie and it just speed up the process by 10x.

www.Sparkpeople.com really helped me out at first.... It help gave me a direction and a plan to follow when I was first starting out, now its pretty much second nature for me to live the veggie lifestyle.

This is what worked for me... I hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Insulin is what puts your body into fat storage mode (and out of fat burning mode). If you are trying to lose weight, as others have said, the sweets have got to go. For some people it isn't a problem, but others have to give up processed carbohydrates almost completely. This includes all sweeteners (sugar, corn syrup, honey, agave nectar, etc.), white rice, white flour, and large quantities of fruit juice. For some, this is enough. Others find they also have to give up traditionally healthy carbohydrates as well. Whole fruits shouldn't be a problem, but if you find yourself unable to lose weight you may want to aim for lower fructose items like blueberries, as opposed to things like apples and oranges, which have been breed to be much sweeter than their naturally growing ancestors,

I'm not going to get into the details of the fat/protein/carb debate, but will say simply that I believe sweets and refined carbohydrates have much more to do with obesity and heart disease than dietary fat and cholesterol. If you're doing everything "they" tell you and it's not working, consider the possibility that they are wrong.

I personally consume roughly 40-60% fat, maybe 20-30% protein, and for my limited carbohydrate intake a moderate amount of whole fruit and small quantities of course grain bread and brown rice. There is always something you can do, but there is a strong genetic component as well. Find the balance that that works for you. The first step is realizing that the idea of desserts or sweets on a regular basis is, quite simply, dangerous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.