VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've recently become a vegetarian (for ethical reasons). However, I'm still adjusting to the diet and find that I'm eating a lot of carbohydrates to reduce my hunger-pains. Does anyone know any filling recipies that are low in carbohydrates?

Thank you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What's wrong with carbs? Your diet is supposed to be 55-65% carbs.

And eat whole grains. They have good carbs and protein - will help a lot with the hunger.

(Some examples of whole grains include: whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, brown rice pasta, millet, quinoa, buckwheat).

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I don't know any recipies but you can eat Boca burgers which only have a couple of grams of carbs and different types of seeds. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, etc all have about 2-4g of carbs per serving I think. Just make sure they aren't the honey roasted kind or that they don't put extra sugar junk on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think fat and protein curb my hunger, I rely on legumes and tofu, nut butters, sprouted bread (no refined carbs usually). Carbs aren't bad in and of themselves, just the refined ones.

This website is good for seeing where most of your fat/protein/carbs/fiber is coming from

http://www.fitday.com

Hope that helps a little!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Couscous, dried apricots, bananas, and soy nuts can all be very filling...

I've also found that hot tea (though it has little to no caloric help if you are actually going for FOOD) can help ease hunger pangs between meals.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Low carb diet are unhealthy. Too much protein is a burden to the kidneys and promotes osteoporosis. Too much fat imight ncreas the risk of cancer. Both in excess tend to acidify your body.

Use veggies high in complex carbohydrates.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Foods high in fiber are filling. Stick to the unrefined, whole grains others have mentioned. But, high fiber fruits and veg work well too. A bowl of oatmeal topped with berries will stay with you a lot longer than toasted white bread will. Also, sometimes it helps to eat a bit of each macronutrient in a sitting, like a whole grain bagel topped with nut butter and a small peach on the side, or a veggie burger on a whole grain bun topped with a little Veganaise and a ton of lettuce. Little protein, little fat, little carb (lotsa fiber) in each mini meal.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Good carbs aren't bad. Like everyone else mentioned, stay away from white breads and white rices. There's nothing good in those. Whole grains, nuts and seeds, avocados and olives will all help you stay full.

Remember to combine the right kinds of things. Nut butters on whole grain breads with fruit on the side is a good example. That sort of thing will keep you full for a few hours. Avocado together with a Protein, like a veggie burger or tofu, will give you a lot of energy and also keep you full.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with the other posts- I eat a very high carb diet and it DOES NOT cause weight gain unless you also get a lot of calories from fat. Whole grain carbs and high-carb veggies are very filling, so you can pretty much eat until you feel full and it won't add up to an excessive number of calories.

If you eat foods high in fat, you have to constrain yourself to a tiny portion size, or else you'll end up eating way too many calories. You can't eat until your stomach is full and you feel totally satisfied.

I really believe that a diet high in high-quality carbs is the way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts